Change device name android for Bluetooth Wi-Fi, the name of your Android device as displayed on the screen of other devices when you’re trying to connect with them wirelessly works as an identifier.
A personalized wireless device name makes it easier to recognize a specific device among others when you’re trying to connect via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or Hotspot.
Change device name android for Bluetooth Wi-Fi
If you don’t change your default, generic name for these types of connections, Change device name android for Bluetooth Wi-Fi then it will be easy for other people in your network both close by and online to figure out that it’s really your phone or tablet that’s trying to connect with others.
This may not seem like a big deal at first but if someone else decides to start using your particular email address across all their devices while they’re sniffing out open networks publicly.
Then they may find their way into your Google Account because they could easily see which devices are yours by the names given.
Personally, I like to see a personalized name for all my devices because it makes technology within my home network feel more safe and secure. Change device name android for Bluetooth Wi-Fi If you’re a smartphone or tablet user running the Android operating system, follow these steps:
- Android device name
- Bluetooth name
- Wi-Fi Direct name
- Mobile hotspot name
- Device name in the Play Store
It might be the only device on your network with the same name but without a doubt, it’s you and not the other guys. By setting a custom name for your Android device.
Instead of something like “The Android’s Name”, you can easily recognize it in lists of wireless networks that do support encryption and Bluetooth devices as well as hotspots.
To change the name of your device, navigate to your Home screen. Change device name android for Bluetooth Wi-Fi From there, tap on Settings > About Device (Phone or Tablet) and you should see a tiny field at the bottom where you can input the desired title for your Android phone or tablet.
Change Device Name on Android
Android makes it easy for you to personalize your device, right from the get-go. If you want to change the name of your Android phone or tablet (and not simply set a nickname), we recommend tapping on Settings.
- Open the Settings app on your Android device.
- Scroll down to About phone or About device and tap it.
- Now tap the Device name option.
- Type the desired name and select OK.
It might be slightly different, but basically you follow the same steps to change the device name if you own a Samsung Galaxy phone or Tab.
In the phone’s Settings, go to About Phone. Tap the name of the device for which you want to add a description and type in a description for your phone. This is useful when selling your used phone.
No matter what brand of phone you have, it is important to be able to change the name of your device so as to avoid any potential miscommunication issues and confusion.
To be able to do this, one must navigate through the Settings app on their device and find About Phone or About Tablet > Network.
Then, one must tap Wireless networks and enter in a custom name for their device.
Lastly, either go into Settings > Bluetooth or Settings > Wi-Fi followed by tapping the connected devices list in order to have any wireless connections update the name of your device.
Change Device Name via ADB Command
Changing the Android device name is not in any way hard, Change device name android for Bluetooth Wi-Fi but there are several ways to do it and we have them all for you here, specifically for everyone who’s been too busy to try them out themselves.
You must be familiar with ADB commands and you can change your Android phone’s name using ADB as instructed below:
- Download the latest Android SDK Platform-tools and set them up on your computer.
- Install the latest Android USB driver on your computer.
- Open the platform-tools folder and launch the command prompt window. There are 2 ways to do that.
- Place the mouse pointer at an empty place in the folder window, do a right-click on the mouse and select the Open PowerShell window here option.
- Just type “cmd” in the folder window address bar and hit the Enter key.
- When the command prompt window is launched, connect your device to the PC.
- Go to your phone’s Settings > Developer options and enable USB Debugging.
- Now type the following command in the command prompt window and press the Enter key.
- If you get an alphanumeric value in the cmd window, it shows that your phone is connected properly.
- Now, execute the command below to get the current name of your Android device.
adb shell settings get global device_name
- You’ll see the name of your device in the command prompt window. In my case, it displayed my device’s name “Galaxy Note 10+“.
- Now type or paste the following command and hit the Enter key. Don’t forget to replace the device name the command with the name you want for your device.
adb shell settings put global device_name “Galaxy Note 10+”
- The screenshot attached below will help you understand all the steps clearly.
- Now, navigate to Settings > About phone and you’ll find that the device name has been changed.
Changing Wi-Fi Hotspot Name
Sometimes, I use my Android phone to stream videos from Netflix and Prime Video on my Smart TV during commutes.
As an Android user, you probably know how frustrating it can be navigating through internet settings when you have double access points or hotspots, whether they’re on your mobile device or laptop.
If you have a computer still running Windows 7, Change device name android for Bluetooth Wi-Fi and need some help figuring out how to connect using EAP-TTLS and MSCHAPv2, we have helpful information below that could assist you with getting your laptop up and running.
- Open Settings on your Android phone.
- Samsung Galaxy devices: Tap Connections > Mobile Hotspot and Tethering
OnePlus phones: Tap Mobile/Wi-Fi Hotspot and Tethering.
- Xiaomi Redmi phones: Tap Portable Hotspot under SIM cards and mobile networks.
- To change the hotspot name on Android devices from different OEMs follow the steps below.
- Samsung devices: You need to enable the mobile hotspot before you can change its settings. Tap Mobile Hotspot and Tethering as shown below. Tap the current device name and rename it. Select the Save option.
- Xiaomi devices: Tap the Set up portable hotspot > SSID, type the desired portable hotspot name and tap the OK icon.
- OnePlus devices: Select Wi-Fi hotspot, type the name for the hotspot network, and select OK.
Change Bluetooth Name on Android
If things have gotten so out of hand that you know deep down it’s time to admit defeat and just reset everything, do yourself a favor and don’t worry about backing up your files.
Use your trusted file explorer app to delete all files and folders on your device that might be causing the bottleneck.
After you do this, you can go through Google’s factory data reset process without worrying about having to take care of backing anything up first.
All you need to do is tap “Reset phone” in your settings tab – but remember you’ll want a backup of anything important stored somewhere else.
Note: You first need to turn on Bluetooth. Click on the three dots in the top right corner and click Bluetooth icon.
- Open the Settings app on your Android device.
- Tap Bluetooth and turn it on. Alternatively, you can open the Quick Settings panel by sliding down the status bar and tap and hold the Bluetooth icon.
- Tap Device name and type the Bluetooth name for your device.
- If you own a OnePlus phone, you need to select Pair new device to access the Device name option.
- On Samsung Galaxy devices, you don’t have the option to change the Bluetooth name. Samsung devices automatically take your device name as the Bluetooth name.
Changing Wi-Fi Direct Name
Don’t ask me why but my wife is obsessed with the idea of connecting our PCs to the TV. She wants to do it wirelessly.
She says it’s cool and that she doesn’t want wires all over the place but I don’t know about you, in real life have you ever seen a PC connected to a TV via Wi-Fi?
- Turn on Wi-Fi on your device first.
- Open Android Settings on your device and tap on Wi-Fi.
- Now do as described below.
- Xiaomi phones: Select Additional settings and tap on Wi-Fi Direct. You need to tap Device name and enter the name you want.
- OnePlus devices: Tap Wi-Fi Direct and on the next screen tap the 3-dot icon at the top-right corner. Select Rename device and type the Wi-Fi Direct name for your phone.
- Samsung devices: On Samsung Galaxy devices, the device name you set will automatically be assigned as the Wi-Fi Direct name for your device.
Change Device Name on Google Play Store
Every Android user has the Google Play Store apps installed on their phone by default.
Anyone using Android devices can see how many other people are using the same device from a single Google account – to do this, simply log into Gmail and go to your account dashboard.
If you want to change the name for your Android devices on the Play Store and Android Dashboard, follow these steps.
- Open the Google Play Store settings page on your desktop or mobile browser.
- You’ll see the list of your devices.
- Tap or click the Edit button in front of the device name and rename the device. 20 pic
- After that, tap the Update icon.
That’s it! You have successfully changed the device name for your Android phone. Next time you try to download an app from the Google Play Store (web).
Change device name android for Bluetooth Wi-Fi you’ll be asked to choose a device with the name you assigned.
Now you know all about renaming your Android device. Whether you want to enjoy a personalized experience, or just try something different from time to time.
Change device name android for Bluetooth Wi-Fi it’s really easy and we hope you’ve had fun doing this tutorial.
Hello, My name is Shari & I am a writer for the ‘Outlook AppIns’ blog. I’m a CSIT graduate & I’ve been working in the IT industry for 3 years.