Turn on android phone without power button, when it comes to mobile devices and smartphones, one of the most annoying things that can happen is when a phone or tablet’s power button stops working without any clear explanation as to why.
When this happens its essentially like you trying to turn the lights on in your house while they’re constantly flicking off and on.
Turn on android phone without power button, it can really get irritating after a while especially if you don’t know what’s happening or how to fix it.
Turn on android phone without power button
The good news is that there are many other ways besides using your phone’s power button to turn it on, lock it, unlock it, restart it, or even charge it! For example:
- How to Boot Samsung Devices into Download Mode
- ADB Shell Commands List and Detailed Cheat Sheet
- 300 Mac Keyboard Shortcuts & Symbols PDF (2021)
It’s true- many people have a lot of problems with the power and volume keys for their mobiles, because they don’t work as expected or at all.
Those issues can happen for any number of reasons, but what you need to remember is that there are always experts who might be able to help you fix your phone (or do it for you).
Just look online and see what options are available nearby in your area! You’ll find something soon enough.
An old buddy of mine once told me about an Android device that has both a power button and a volume down button. When you press the power on button, Turn on android phone without power button there is no response.
But, if you press the volume down button first followed by the power on button- the device boots up immediately. Sadly we do not have this phone in our possession.
When you’re not able to restart your phone, the trick of holding the Volume Up and Down keys while plugging the USB cable into a computer or power source may just do the trick.
The method is said to work with older phones and tablets that have a home button. However, you might have better luck using third-party apps to solve this issue if it persists.
In this article I will show you two ways to perform a soft reset and two ways to do a hard reset on an Android phone so that you can reboot your device.
Before we go over how to perform each of these actions, let’s take a look at how you can fix your power button if it is broken or at least temporarily make it work after physically pressing the button multiple times to build up new muscle memory that you can use even when the button does not physically work.
Fixing a Stuck or Broken Power Button
Power buttons aren’t always the most responsive, making your phone restart or turn off during the middle of something important.
Accidental drops and moisture can be damaging to your phone’s body, but even a small clump of lint in the wrong place can make it so you have to press power twice.
I gave my 7-year-old son an old Nexus 5 two years ago. Turn on android phone without power button After some days, he complained that his phone was not turning on.
After opening his device, I found that the power button had become stuck, refusing to come back up no matter what I tried. The button almost got flattened to the level of the frame (see above).
The Nexus 5 has a unibody design so I took off the back cover, squeezed the sides together and pulled out the area where the power button was located.
After that, I poured a drop of Isopropyl Alcohol (IA) and tried to pull out the power button gently with an all-pin. It worked! I saw words on the screen.
Recently, my wife asked me to help out in the kitchen while she was making dinner.
While I was in the middle of answering an email, I completely forgot about what she asked and accidentally splattered a little bit of fat into the dirt-attracting phone that I keep on my nightstand to use at work.
The next day when I picked up the phone to send some important emails, it became clear to me that this phone’s hardware is low quality and all it had done was incur a little damage because of some yogurt.
If the volume or power button of your phone is stuck or feels non-responsive, try these quick tips to fix it.
Method 1: Clean Power Button with Isopropyl Alcohol
- Make sure your phone or tablet is turned off. Turn on android phone without power button In case it’s on, read my tutorial to learn how to switch off a phone without the power button.
- Get a cotton swab or an old toothbrush.
- You’ll also need some Isopropyl alcohol with the highest percentage (90-99%) you can find.
- Dip the cotton swab or brush into the alcohol and shake off the excess alcohol.
- Now clean the sides of the power button gently. To be on the safer side, keep the power button side of your phone upside down. This way. you can prevent alcohol from seeping into the device.
- Make sure you get the toothbrush bristles inside the gap around the power button.
- While you clean press the power button at intervals to check if it’s loosening up or not.
- Keep cleaning it again and again until the power button starts giving tactile feedback or at least responds.
Hydrogen peroxide is a great tool to keep at home because it will never oxidize and hence, ruin the color of your phone’s keys.
Method 2: Use Hairdryer
We recommend to first use Isopropyl alcohol and if the stains are still present you should add in some White Vinegar to it.
- Take a hairdryer.
- Cover all sides of your phone with some fabric except the power button.
- Now blow moderately hot air on the power button.
If your phone’s problem is a sticky or stiff power button, the best solution is to heat up the phone in hot or boiling water for 10 minutes.
The heat loosens up fatty deposits so you can wipe them off. You may need to clean out the button using sudsy water and rubbing alcohol first if it’s really nasty.
Also try a hair dryer on low heat, but keep it at least a few inches away from your phone.
If that doesn’t make the problem go away, take your phone to an authorized service center – there are better tools (and people with expertise) out there.
Turning On Phone without Power Button
In order to turn off your Android phone or tablet, Turn on android phone without power button you might try tapping the home button multiple times to solve your problem.
Or, if that doesn’t work, you may want to try following the steps in our article which talks about frequently encountered quandaries and their respective solutions so as to find a resolution for your specific problem.
Android Accessibility Power Menu
If you’re looking for way to get more use out of a phone and it is especially beneficial for the disabled, then one option exists.
Android phones have an “Accessibility menu” that helps assist people with much needed functions such as powering on or off devices.
Its main purpose is to increase user interaction with only few hand movements which makes it ideal for people who are impaired physically in some way (i.e. can’t hit power button).
- Navigate to Settings > Accessibility on your device. If you have a phone from Chinese brands like Xiaomi, Google Pixel, Huawei, Oppo, Realme, OnePlus, Vivo, etc., you can find Accessibility under Additional settings. Now you need to enable the Accessibility or Assistant Menu.
- Samsung devices: Tap on Interaction and dexterity and enable the Assistant menu. A floating will appear at the right edge of the screen. Just tap it and select the Power off-menu option.
- Other brands: Navigate to Accessibility > Accessibility Menu and enable it. You’ll see the Accessibility Menu icon on the navigation bar of your phone. Just tap the Accessibility Menu icon and select the Power or Lock screen to lock or restart or phone without using the power button.
Android Lollipop devices include a new feature that lets you lock, restart, or turn off your device using gestures.
Wake up the Screen without the Power Button
If your phone won’t turn on because of a broken power button and shows a black (locked) screen, there is an easy way to fix it without turning it off.
If your phone has fingerprint scanner, you can use your original or alternative unlocking options on the lock screen such as using the scanning option that should come with your device or use an on-screen sensor which may work just as well.
- Double-tap your device screen while it’s locked and the screen is off.
- The screen will wake up.
- You can now use biometric, PINs, passwords, or patterns to unlock your phone.
In case the xda-wakeup feature is not working for you, you will have to enable it from device settings.
To do this, first go to device Settings >Gestures > on the default Swipe up gesture, tap the 3-dot menu button and choose xda-wakeup.
The feature should now be enabled and working normally again. Turn on android phone without power button I have written another tutorial describing the methods to wake up a phone screen using volume keys, gestures, and ADB shell keyevent commands.
- Call your phone from another phone or plug in the charger to wake up the screen.
- Unlock the device by entering the PIN, pattern, or fingerprint.
- Go to Settings and tap on the search icon.
- Type “double tap” in the search box and select Double tap to wake and enable the feature.
3rd-party Apps to Turn on Android Devices
You can find lots of apps that make it much easier to access the power menu on Android devices.
Samsung lets you open up the power menu by holding any 2 points on the screen, and Sony has this option built in from the factory so there aren’t any apps needed.
Please note that these options may not work with encrypted or secure boot.
If your device has an encrypted recovery partition or uses a LK (locked) bootloader, you yourself must hold the power button for 10-15 seconds to turn off your phone before using either of these shortcuts.
Buttons Re mapper lets you turn your device’s lock screen on or off with a single button.
Best of all, it doesn’t require the use of infrared sensors or other potentially draining options.
With Buttons Re mapper, Turn on android phone without power button you don’t have to worry about accidentally turning off your phone when you hold down the volume buttons because that function has been disabled by default.
- Open Buttons Remapper and tap the toggle in front of the Service enabled option.
- Grant it the required permissions.
- Then tap on the ‘+’ icon and select Short and long press. You can also set the long press duration for the button.
- Now select the Volume up or down key and set Lock screen under Action.
You can now turn your phone’s screen off by holding the Volume up/down key.
Phone Lock is a pretty straightforward app that lets you lock your phone with a single tap. The app icon can be tapped to activate a temporary password or pattern lock.
Alternatively, Turn on android phone without power button Phone Lock’s menu will appear when the app icon is swiped and held down.
To unlock the screen, just touch anywhere on it (except the bottom corners) and enter your passcode or swipe gesture directly on the button page. This means you can turn off and restart your device without touching either of its buttons.
Power Button to Volume Button
Button to Button is a unique app that lets you remap the power button to lock your device using the power button and from the notification area.
Also, it includes an option to turn off your display by double tapping the power button from anywhere on your phone.
Note: The volume key feature to lock the app does not work properly on Android 10 and above. We’re working on a fix, please come back to check in a few weeks.
Turn on and Lock Samsung Devices using Bixby
Although Bixby is useful on its own, it hasn’t always left us impressed. Turn on android phone without power button Recently, a user turned to Twitter to express their disappointment after realizing the assistant doesn’t support locking Galaxy devices.
Luckily, Google Assistant is still an excellent alternative solution for those who want more than what Bixby has to offer.
- Launch the Samsung Bixby app on your device and use “Unlock my phone” or “Lock my phone” to lock or unlock your device.
- Bixby will turn on the screen and you would be able to unlock it using your PIN, pattern, or biometrics.
Lock Xiaomi and Redmi Phone via Quick ball
MIUI is a highly popular custom ROM for Android. Turn on android phone without power button It boasts a minimalist, ergonomic skin that gives people the option of navigating their handset using nothing but their finger or if they prefer, the tip of their thumb.
- Navigate to Settings > Additional settings and tap on Quick ball.
- Now tap on the toggle icon in front of Turn on Quick ball.
- You can now lock your phone by tapping the Lock shortcut in Quick ball and use a double-tap to wake a unlock the phone without using the power button.
Schedule Power Off Time via Android Settings
If you want to schedule your Android phone to turn on and off at specific times, Turn on android phone without power button but the physical power button is too broken for you to hit it, you can still do so by setting an alarm in the Clock app.
- Go to Settings and tap on the search bar or icon.
- Type “schedule” in the search box and select Schedule power on/off.
- You can set the power on and off time to make your phone turn on and off automatically without the power button.
Turn off and Restart Android Device Using ADB Commands
If the power button is broken on your Android phone, you can still restart it. Turn on android phone without power button First activate your device’s developer mode, which is done by opening Settings > Developer Options.
Then turn on USB Debugging by going to Settings > Applications > Development and checking “USB Debugging.” Next connect the device to a computer.
Using a command window or terminal on this computer, enter the following command before pressing Enter:
- Download and install Android SDK Platform-tools on your Windows, Mac, or Linux computer. If you don’t want to install ADB and Fast boot, Turn on android phone without power button you can use the commands in the Chrome browser via Web ADB irrespective of OS. In case you don’t have access to a computer but have another Android device, read my tutorial on using ADB commands on Android devices.
- Connect your device to a computer using a compatible USB cable.
- Enable and allow USB debugging on your Android device.
- Launch a command window on Windows, or Terminal on Mac.
- Now type the following command and press the Enter key.
- Similarly, you can also turn off any Android device using the following command.
adb shell reboot -p
It’s not possible to turn off an android device without the power button. There are numerous ways that you can try to get some of your locked or dead android phones working.
One solution, especially if yours is damaged, Turn on android phone without power button would be to take them into a repair shop for a checkup and have it repaired or fixed.
Hello, My name is Shari & I am a writer for the ‘Outlook AppIns’ blog. I’m a CSIT graduate & I’ve been working in the IT industry for 3 years.