What comes to mind when you hear the term “digital marketing”? Marketing as a study or discipline has been around for a long time. But with every new medium, such as print media, electronics, the internet, and mobile phones, the game of marketing seems to have changed completely.
Why is the internet so powerful?
It’s amazing to look back at how many digital marketing companies have popped up in Singapore and abroad. The advent of the internet is the latest, and arguably the most revolutionary, of the changes that we’ve seen in the past century or so. It’s easy to tell because the internet is one of the most versatile tools that has ever been made.
Think about your average day and how much the internet interacts impacts you. We use the internet for the most mundane of things, like searching for the definition of words, checking for movie screening schedules, doing our grocery shopping, finding the latest updates on our favorite games, and so much more.
And it’s not just beneficial to individuals; the internet is also beneficial to entities, such as government agencies, law firms, and yes, businesses. That’s why many people have touted the internet as a major game-changer for marketing. With digital marketing, you can explore so many other avenues compared to traditional means of advertising, such as word of mouth or print media.
The problem with traditional marketing is that most of the time, its scope is limited and not very precise. Traditional marketing is often very localised– think of billboard ads, which are only seen by those who visit the area, or magazine and newspaper ads, which are only seen by the few who read them. This means that there is a small chance for people (or rather, your target market) who can see your advertisements, and it is much harder to monitor who is able to view your advertising or marketing campaign.
Compare that to marketing on the web or through digital means– the nature of the platform itself makes it easier to determine and make full, detailed reports of the basic information and data of who views your ads, how effective it is, and how you can improve your marketing strategy for later. This is because there are tools available on the platform that measure these statistics and present the data to you.
In some cases, there are even digital marketing services that center around finding out what the demographics of your market is and specifically marketing only to them. You are also able to reach a wider audience by tweaking your ad preferences to include them.
The scope of digital marketing
If all this sounds a bit overwhelming to a first-timer, you could be excused for thinking that. There are many different marketing strategies that you can focus on, and many big digital marketing companies are subdivided into teams that focus on different marketing areas. Here are some of the different subdisciplines of digital marketing:
SEO and SEM. Also known as search engine optimisation and search engine marketing, these two are concerned with marketing strategies on search engines like Google, Bing, and Yahoo. Search engine optimisation, on one hand, refers to the process of developing your website and presenting high-quality content so you can rank highly in web searches. Search engine marketing, on the other hand, refers to the strategies that use search engines’ built-in marketing tools to reach your audience.
Mobile marketing. Mobile marketing refers to the strategies related to advertising and marketing on mobile devices such as tablets and phones. With millions of smartphones in circulation today, way more than other digital technologies like laptops, it’s the primary method by which people access the internet. It’s tempting to tap into this lucrative market.
Email marketing. Think about it: while we might not communicate that much with our peers over email anymore, but we still use email for a host of other things, like signing up to our favourite social media sites, checking in with our coworkers, reaching out to sellers, and more. Many working-class adults will have at least one personal and work email. Email marketing helps us reach a wider audience. It refers to the wide variety of marketing strategies that involve the use of emails as a medium of communication.
How do I know which ones to focus on?
With so many different areas of digital marketing, It might be a little difficult to know where to start. There are a lot of different marketing strategies to use. But unless you have a lot of money to sink, then it’s probably not a good idea to spread yourself too thinly.
Before doing anything else, you might want to consider hiring a digital marketing agency that knows their stuff. Hiring a third party is a good idea because they most likely have seasoned professionals that know what they’re doing and have the experience and resources necessary to brainstorm a good marketing strategy for you and execute it well.
However, there are some good guidelines for any company to use when it comes to digital marketing. Let’s explore some dos and don’t of digital marketing that every business owner should take into account.
Some digital marketing dos and don’ts for those looking to finalize a digital marketing plan
- Put the customer’s experience first. If your client or customer ever has a bad experience on the internet or forms a bad first impression of your website, web content, and any related materials, it can taint their perception of the entire brand. That’s why so many digital marketing strategies revolve around improving user experience and satisfaction.
- Go for quality over quantity. In some cases, like SEO, it may be tempting to churn out lots of low-quality content in an effort to rank highly or be noticed by the algorithm, but keep in mind that your content will still be read by human readers. Your first concern is in attracting and retaining customers.
- Focus and invest in a business blog or original content. If your website doesn’t have one yet, then you strongly consider making one. Blogs serve all sorts of purposes, such as providing relevant content for readers, announcing events, rankings on search engines, as links to social media sites, and so on. They are indispensable.
- Develop your mobile app experience. There’s a reason why mobile marketing is a thing. More people have mobile phones than they do smartphones or tablets. It not only makes your brand more accessible, but customers will also spend more time browsing on an app than they do on a website. Don’t let a good chance pass you by, and consider this a must if you are going to look for good digital marketing services.
Check out one of the top digital marketing agencies in Singapore! OOm is a marketing agency offering some of the best digital marketing services you can find. Check out our website to know more about what we can do for you.
- Freelance Job – Work from Home
- 6 Important Traits of a Video Game Translator
- How Can You Increase Your Productivity on a Computer?
Hello, My name is Shari & I am a writer for the ‘Outlook AppIns’ blog. I’m a CSIT graduate & I’ve been working in the IT industry for 3 years.