Configure Microsoft Outlook For Gmail – Manual Settings is easy with the auto-configure method. However, you need to set up Gmail to allow you to download mail as POP or to map folders and emails using IMAP. Here are the steps to configure MS Outlook for Gmail.
There is no need to configure the server address and the port manually for Gmail in Microsoft Outlook. The settings will automatically switch to the default Google settings, and you will not be able to access your Google account in the usual way.
Set up Gmail To Connect With Microsoft Outlook
- Log in to your Gmail account.
- Click on the Gear icon and select Settings.
- Click on Forwarding and POP/IMAP above your Inbox.
- Click “Enable POP for all mail” under “POP Download” to have all future mail arrive via POP.
- Choose “Archive Gmail’s Copy” from the drop-down box next to “When Messages Are Accessed With POP”.
- Click on Save Changes
In order to set up your Gmail account to allow Microsoft Outlook to download messages through the POP3 protocol, simply follow the steps outlined above. However, if you wish to map your Gmail folders and access your messages through IMAP instead, simply select “Enable IMAP” under the “IMAP Access” heading after completing steps 1 through 3. Please note that you should only enable either POP or IMAP, but not both simultaneously. Finally, to have Microsoft Outlook automatically configure your account settings, simply click the “Auto Configure MS Outlook” button.
- From the File menu, select Add New Account.
- Enter your email ID and password in the dialog box.
- Click on Next
- Microsoft Outlook will search for Gmail settings and configure the account for you in a few minutes.
If you’ve selected POP as your Gmail account type in Settings, you’ll need these POP3 settings in Microsoft Outlook. And if you’ve chosen IMAP, you’ll need these IMAP settings instead.
1.Select “Add Account” from the File menu.
2.In the select dialog box that appears, choose Manually configure server settings or additional server types.
4.Click “Internet Email” and then click “Next.”
5.In the dialog box that appears, type your name, email address, and password into the appropriate fields.
6.Select “POP” if you wish to create a POP3 account, or “IMAP” for an IMAP account.
7.For the Incoming server, enter pop.gmail.com or imap.gmail.com depending on the type of account you are creating.
8.For the outgoing server, enter smtp.gmail.com
9.Click on More Settings
10.Under the Outgoing Server tab, select the option for My Outgoing Server (SMTP) requires Authentication.
11. Click to select Use Same Settings As My Incoming Server
12. Go to the Advanced Tab
13.If you are creating a POP3 account, enter 995 in Incoming Server Port. If you are creating IMAP, enter 993.
14.This server requires an encrypted connection. Please set the type of encryption to SSL for your IMAP account.
15In the Outgoing Server Port, enter the value 587. Set the type of encryption to TLS.
16. Click OK to close the dialog box.
17. Click Test Account Settings… to test the account settings
18.If your account settings are correct, you should see a message saying so. Click on Next to exit the dialog box.
Hello, My name is Shari & I am a writer for the ‘Outlook AppIns’ blog. I’m a CSIT graduate & I’ve been working in the IT industry for 3 years.