Table of Contents
- How do I link Outlook to OneNote?
- View or add Outlook meetings to the OneNote Desktop app
- View or add Outlook meetings to OneNote for Windows 10 app
- How to create Outlook tasks in OneNote
- How to open OneNote tasks in Outlook
- Open OneNote tasks in Outlook directly from the OneNote application
- Open OneNote tasks by using the Outlook app
- How to mark an Outlook task as complete and delete it in OneNote
Microsoft OneNote provides an interesting feature that lets you create Outlook tasks, which can be used to plan projects and manage deadlines. You can also view and manage OneNote tasks in Outlook, and even get reminders for them. This article explains how to create Outlook tasks in OneNote.
As of now, creating Outlook tasks from OneNote for Windows 10 is not possible. However, Microsoft might add this feature to OneNote for Windows 10 in the future. In the meantime, you will have to use the OneNote desktop app to create Outlook tasks.
By default, Outlook and OneNote are integrated. This means that you can take notes from Outlook directly into OneNote. You can also view the schedule for all meetings in OneNote. The changes that you make in Outlook will automatically be reflected in OneNote for synced items like tasks, meetings, etc.
Related Article: How to add RSS Feeds to Outlook in Windows 11/10
If you want to send an Outlook email to OneNote, you can do this simply by clicking on the “Send to OneNote” button on the Outlook ribbon. If the “Send to OneNote” button is not available in Outlook, you have to enable an Add-in, named “OneNote notes about Outlook items.”
- Launch Outlook.
- Go to “Home > Options.”
- Click Add-ins on the left side. After that, you will see all active, inactive, and disabled add-ins in Outlook.
- If you find the “OneNote notes about Outlook items” add-in in the disabled add-ins list, click on the Manage drop-down menu at the bottom and select Disabled Items and click on the Go button. After that, select the add-in and click on the Enable button.
- Restart Outlook.
View or add Outlook meetings to the OneNote Desktop app
If you want to see or put Outlook meetings in OneNote, you have to do the following:
- Launch the OneNote desktop app.
- Go to “Home > Meetings Details.” OneNote will show you all the scheduled meetings for the present day.
- If you want to view meetings for another day, click on the Choose a meeting from another day option under the Meeting Details. Click on the Calendar icon and select the date on which you have a scheduled meeting.
- Click on the Meeting from the list and then select the Insert Details button.
- This will add the meeting to the OneNote desktop app.
View or add Outlook meetings to OneNote for Windows 10 app
The following steps will help you view or add Outlook meetings in the OneNote for Windows 10 app:
- Launch OneNote for Windows 10.
- Open a notebook.
- Go to “Insert > Meeting Details.” This will show all the meetings for the present day on the right pane.
- If you want to view meetings scheduled for another day, click on the Today’s meeting drop-down menu and select the date from the Calendar.
- Click on the meeting to add it to OneNote for Windows 10.
How to create Outlook tasks in OneNote
We’ve listed the steps to create Outlook tasks in OneNote below. These steps are applicable to OneNote 2016 and other versions, like OneNote 2013, 2010, 2007, etc.
- Launch the OneNote application.
- Open your Notebook in OneNote.
- Select the words for which you want to create a task.
- Go to “Home > Outlook Tasks “
- Select a due date for the task.
We have explained how to create an Outlook task in the OneNote 2016 application. However, the steps may vary depending on the version of OneNote you are using. After selecting the words, click on the home tab and then click on the Outlook Tasks drop-down arrow. This drop-down menu has a Flag icon so that you can easily identify it. There, you will find several options to create a task.
You can create a task for:
- Same day
- Same week
- Next day
- Next week
- Custom date
You can select an option to see a flag appear on the left side of the selected words in OneNote. To create a task for a custom date, select the Custom option.
When you click the “Custom” option, a new window will appear allowing you to input a custom date for your Outlook task. You can also set a reminder for the task by checking the “Reminder” box. After you are finished, click the “Save & Exit” button.
How to open OneNote tasks in Outlook
You can open the OneNote tasks in Outlook in the following two ways:
- From the OneNote application.
- From the Outlook application.
Open OneNote tasks in Outlook directly from the OneNote application
To open the OneNote tasks in Outlook, follow the below-listed steps:
- Open the OneNote application.
- Select the task that you want to open in Outlook.
- Go to “Home > Outlook Tasks” and click on the Open Task in Outlook option.
Open OneNote tasks by using the Outlook app
To open OneNote tasks in Outlook by using the Outlook app, follow the steps below:
- Open the Outlook app on your system.
- Click on the My Tasks button. In Outlook 2016, it is present on the bottom left side. Its location may vary in different versions of the Outlook desktop app.
This is where you’ll find a list of all the tasks you’ve created in OneNote, along with the date and time they were created.
How to mark an Outlook task as complete and delete it in OneNote
In order to mark a task as complete in OneNote, simply click on the flag next to it. Upon clicking the flag, it will turn into a green tick, indicating that the task has been completed. Tasks that have been completed in this manner will be automatically deleted from the Outlook application.
To delete a task in OneNote, select it and then delete it by going to “Home > Outlook Task > Delete Outlook Task.”