This article provides possible solutions to the problem in which Outlook cannot connect to the Exchange mailbox. This issue occurs when a user moves his mailbox from one Microsoft Exchange Server to another Microsoft Exchange Server and affects Outlook desktop versions. If you receive the following error message, there are possible solutions to the problem: “Cannot connect to the Exchange mailbox. This issue occurs when a user moves his mailbox from one Microsoft Exchange Server to another Microsoft Exchange Server. This issue affects Outlook desktop versions.”
The Microsoft Exchange Administrator has made a change that requires you to quit and restart Outlook. According to the error message, the problem may be fixed by restarting Outlook. If the app does not connect to the Microsoft Exchange Server after restarting Outlook and displays the same error message, try the following fixes.
Microsoft Exchange administrator has made a change that requires you to quit and restart Outlook
Related Article: How to report Phishing emails in Outlook
If the error message still appears in Outlook, try the following solutions:
- Update Microsoft Outlook desktop application.
- Repair Exchange email account.
- Create a new Outlook profile.
- Move the mailbox to a different database.
Update Microsoft Outlook desktop application
Microsoft releases bug fixes for Windows and other products on a regular basis. If you’re having trouble with Outlook, be sure to check for and install any available updates.
The procedure to update Outlook is described below:
- Launch the Microsoft Outlook desktop app.
- Click on the File menu and select Office Account from the left pane.
- Now, click Update Options and then click Update Now.
- After the update gets completed, restart Outlook.
Check if the issue persists.
Repair Exchange email account
If updating Outlook didn’t fix the issue, you can try repairing your Exchange email account. Here are the steps:
- Launch the Microsoft Outlook desktop app.
- Go to “File > Account Settings.”
- Click Account Settings from the list of options that appear. This will open a new popup window.
- Now, select your Outlook account and then click on the Repair button.
The outlook will take some time to repair your account. Restart Outlook after the process is completed.
The “Work Offline” message may appear on the Status bar when you restart Outlook. To connect to the mail server again, select the Send/Receive tab, and then select Connect. When you restart Outlook, the “Work Offline” message may appear on the Status bar. To connect to the mail server again, go to the Send/Receive tab and select Connect.
Follow the steps below:
- Click on the Send/Receive tab on the Menu bar.
- Click Work Offline. You will find this option in the Preferences section.
Create a new Outlook profile
If you see the error message “Microsoft Exchange administrator has made a change that requires you to quit and restart Outlook,” this may be because your Outlook profile is configured incorrectly or is corrupted. In this case, creating a new Outlook profile can fix the issue.
First, if you have the Outlook desktop application open, close it. Then follow the instructions below.
- Launch Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel, select large icons in the View by mode. Click Mail.
- Now, click on the Show Profiles button.
- In a new popup window, click Add to create a new Outlook profile.
- Write the name of your new Outlook profile and click OK. After that, enter all the required details, like your name, email address, and password.
- When you are done, click Next.
It will take a moment to create a new Outlook profile. When the process is completed, repeat the first three steps and select the newly created Outlook profile from the drop-down menu. Select the Always use this profile option, click Apply, and then OK. Now, close the Control Panel and launch the Outlook desktop app. Check if the error message appears this time or not.
Move the mailbox to a different database
You should install ADSI Edit on your system to move the mailbox to a different database. ADSI (Active Directory Service Interface Editor) Edit tool allows users to create, modify, and delete the objects in Active Directory. You can access this tool if RSAT (Remote Server Administration Tools) is available on your computer. Windows 10 Home edition does not have RSAT. Hence, this solution is applicable to those who have Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise edition. You can install RSAT on Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise edition via Optional Features.
Follow the steps below to move the mailbox to a different database:
- Launch the Run command box and type ADSIEDIT.MSC.
- Expand the Configuration container and then expand the Configuration folder.
- Go to “CN=Services > CN=Microsoft Exchange > CN=your organization name > CN=Administrative Groups > CN=Exchange Administrative Group > CN=Databases.”
- Now, expand the CN=Databases folder and select your database.
- Right-click on your database and select properties. This will open a new window.
- Scroll down the list and locate MSEXCH Home Public-MDB. Once you find it, select it.
- Click on the Edit button and then click Clear to delete its Value data. After that, click OK and close the ADSI Edit tool.
What are the most common issues with Outlook?
You may experience some common issues on Outlook anytime. These common problems include the slow response of Outlook, freezing issues, and corrupt user profiles. You may also experience some common issues with Outlook Calendar.
Hello, My name is Shari & I am a writer for the ‘Outlook AppIns’ blog. I’m a CSIT graduate & I’ve been working in the IT industry for 3 years.