How to automatically move Emails to a folder in Outlook. Some of these messages are important, and some of them are not. This can make it difficult to focus only on the important email messages in our inboxes. Microsoft Outlook Rule can be a perfect solution to this problem. By creating rules in Microsoft Outlook, we can set our important email messages to move automatically to a specific folder. If we create Outlook Rules, all our important emails will be located in a separate folder.
This can let us find them easily instead of searching for them in our inbox folder, which can be a time-consuming process. In this article, we will see how to move emails to a specific folder in Outlook and Outlook.com by using Outlook Rules.
How do I make certain emails go directly into a folder in Outlook?
You can create a rule in Outlook that will move emails into a folder. This article explains the process for both Outlook Desktop and Outlook on the Web.
How to move Emails to a specific folder in Microsoft Outlook app
The steps in this article describe how to set up your Outlook Desktop app to connect to your Office 365 account.
- Launch Outlook Desktop app.
- Create a new folder (skip this step if you have already created a folder).
- Open the email for which you want to create a rule.
- Select the From Sender option.
- Select the folder to which you want to move the email messages from that particular sender.
- Click OK.
1. Launch Microsoft Outlook Desktop app.
2. Right-click your username and select New Folder. Name the folder. If you have already created a folder in Outlook, you can skip this step.
3. Now open the email from the sender you want to move messages from. Double-click on the email to open it in a new window.
4. After opening the email, go to “Rules > Create Rule.”
5. In the “Create Rule” popup window, check the box next to “From .” You can also check the “Subject contains” box, but if you do, only emails with that particular subject will be moved to the specified folder. If you want to move all emails from the sender, regardless of email subject, leave the “Subject contains” box unchecked.
6. Now, check the “Move the items to folder” checkbox. Select the folder you want to move the email messages from a particular sender to by clicking the “Select folder” button. If you have not created a folder previously, you can create a new one by clicking the “New” button in the Rules and Alerts window.
You can set conditions to move email messages to a folder by clicking the Advanced options button. When you’re done, click OK.A popup message will appear saying The Rule has been created. In the popup message, there will be a checkbox saying Run this rule now on messages already in the current folder. If you select this checkbox, the rule will be applied to all the previous email messages that you have received from that particular sender and Outlook will move those messages to the targeted folder.
Click the “OK” button in the Success popup window to confirm your rule. From now on, Outlook will automatically move email messages to the folder you created.
Related Post: Fix The set of folders cannot be opened Outlook error
How to delete a rule in Outlook Desktop app
To delete an Outlook rule, follow the steps below:
- Launch Microsoft Outlook.
- Click on the File tab.
- Click “Manage Rules & Alerts” at the bottom of the page. A new popup window will appear.
- To delete an Outlook rule, select it and click the Delete button.
- Click OK.
How to move emails to a specific folder in Outlook.com
Now let’s see how to create a rule in Outlook.com or Outlook on the Web app to move emails from a particular sender to a specific folder.
- Open your web browser and sign in to your Outlook account.
- Open Outlook Settings on the Web.
- Go to “Mail > Rules.”
- Create a new Rule.
- Click on the Save button.
1. Open your web browser and go to Outlook.com. Log in to Outlook using your Microsoft account information.
2. Click on the icon shaped like a gear on the top right side, and select “View all Outlook Settings.”
3. From the left side, select the Mail category. Then, click on the Rules option. On the Rules section, click on the Add new rule button.
4. Now, please provide the following information:
- Write the name of your rule.
- You have to select a condition from the drop-down menu. In this tutorial, we have selected From in the drop-down menu. After selecting From in the drop-down menu, write the email address of the sender.
- To move an email to a different folder in Outlook, click on the drop-down menu and select “Move to.” Now, click on the “Select a folder” drop-down menu and select your folder from the list. If Outlook does not display your folder, click on the “Move to a different folder” option. If you have not created a folder before, you can create a new one by clicking on the “New folder” option. After creating a new folder, press Enter.
- You can use this feature to add an exception to your rule.
5.Stop processing more rulesFrom now on, all emails from the sender whose email address you have entered will be automatically moved to the folder you have created.
The “Stop processing more rules” feature prevents new rules from overriding existing rules. This can be useful when you have more than one rule for a particular message. For example, you might have a rule to move emails from a particular sender to a specific folder, and another rule to delete all emails with PDF attachments. In this case, the Stop processing more rules feature in Outlook.com would protect your PDF-attached emails from being deleted by the second rule.
How to delete a rule in Outlook on the Web
Follow the instructions below to delete a rule in Outlook on the Web app or Outlook.com.
- Open your Outlook account in your web browser.
- Open Settings.
- To access your mail rules, go to “Mail > Rules.” Here, you will see all the rules that you have created.
- To delete a rule, select it and click the Delete button.
- Click the “OK” button in the confirmation box.
You can turn a rule off instead of deleting it. This will save you time from creating the same rule again. To turn a rule off, simply toggle the switch adjacent to it.
How do I filter emails in Outlook?
The “Filter Email” option in Outlook can help you organize your inbox by automatically sorting your messages into categories. This can be found under the “Find” section on the “Home” tab. By clicking on “Filter Email,” Outlook will provide various options such as “Unread,” “Email with Attachments,” “Categorized,” “Flagged,” and “Important.” You can apply a filter according to your needs.
Hello, My name is Shari & I am a writer for the ‘Outlook AppIns’ blog. I’m a CSIT graduate & I’ve been working in the IT industry for 3 years.