Outlook connected accounts Update failed and Sync issues, but the most common is an incorrect password. Outlook allows you to add other accounts from different mail providers. This allows you to access many accounts on a single application. If you see the Update failed error on one of your connected accounts, it’s likely because the password is incorrect.
What is a connected account in Outlook.com?
The process for adding an email account to your Outlook.com account is similar to adding a Connected Account in Gmail. You can add a Connected Account via IMAP which allows you to sync to your email server.
Outlook connected accounts Update failed
If you’re having trouble updating one or more of your Outlook connected accounts, we’ve got a few solutions that might help.
- Edit the connected account
- Change Server Settings of Email Provider
- Change POP Account to IMAP Account
- Use Mail app
Looking at each of the listed solutions, let’s take a look at the process involved in each one. Before you try the solutions below, make sure to update Microsoft Office on your Windows 11/10 device. You can also remove and re-add your account to see if that helps.
Related Post: How to get S/MIME certificate for Outlook and install it
1] Edit the connected account
This solution to the “Update failed” issue requires editing the password settings of the connected POP account.
Do the following:
- Open a web browser and go to Outlook.com.
- In order to log in to Outlook.com, you will need to use your credentials.
- Next, click on the gear icon or go to settings and click on Connected Accounts.
- In the window with the list of Outlook accounts, select the one that displays “Update failed.”
- Now, update the password for your account and save the changes.
The status of the update will change to “Pending Update” after it is completed, and after some time, the status will change to “Up-to-date”. The issue should be resolved now. You can restart Outlook and check for the same.
2] Change Server Settings of Email Provider
If you see this issue in your Outlook account, it could be due to a change or update in the security settings or mail server settings of the connected account. To resolve the issue, you may need to unblock or change the server settings of the email provider of the connected accounts, such as Gmail, Yahoo, or others.
3] Change POP Account to IMAP Account
IMAP is far superior to POP due to the fact that it provides a richer media transfer experience as well as the ability to synchronize with devices.
To fix this issue, you will need to change your POP account to an IMAP account. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Sign in to your Outlook.com account to access your email, calendar, and Contacts.
- Navigate to Connected Accounts.
- Choose the POP account you’re having trouble with.
- Next, remove the linked POP account.
- Now you can add your account to Outlook.com with the default settings. Your account will be added under the Choose where the imported email will be stored section with the option Create a new folder for imported email, with subfolders like the account you connect.
4] Use Mail app
This is more of a workaround than a solution if Outlook is your preferred email client on Windows 11/10. This article will show you how to set up and add multiple email accounts to the Mail app on your device to send and receive emails from your connected account.
Why is one of my Outlook accounts not working?
Most common problem when connecting accounts to Outlook.com is incorrect settings. To resolve the issue, check your account settings with your provider. After you set up your account, sign out and sign in again to confirm that your settings are correct.
Why is my Outlook not connecting to the server?
If Outlook isn’t connecting to the server, try these suggestions:
- Make sure your account login credentials or server name for Exchange are correct.
- Make sure Outlook is online.
- Your computer needs to be connected to the network to work properly.
- Check your connection to Microsoft Exchange Server.
Where is managed connected accounts in Outlook?
In order to see your managed connected accounts in Outlook, follow these steps
- Choose Settings > Mail at the top of the screen.
- Under Options, select Accounts > Connected accounts. This will show you a list of all the accounts that you have connected to your profile.
Some features are not available in every area. The Connected accounts feature may not be available in your region.
Hello, My name is Shari & I am a writer for the ‘Outlook AppIns’ blog. I’m a CSIT graduate & I’ve been working in the IT industry for 3 years.