Although Outlook is one of the best email clients, it is not error-free. While using the Yahoo Mail account, if Outlook is unable to set things up, or if it shows the password prompt for Yahoo Mail continuously, then these solutions will help you fix that issue. To use Yahoo Mail in Outlook, a specific option must be enabled in the Yahoo Mail account. If Outlook doesn’t detect the setting, you won’t be able to use the Yahoo Mail account in Outlook.
Why Outlook keeps asking for the password of Yahoo Mail
- If you have enabled two-factor authentication in your Yahoo Mail account, Outlook may not be able to go through that setting.
- You have to set up Yahoo Mail using IMAP. If there is incorrect information, Outlook keeps showing the password prompt.
- You have to use the app password facility to create a password for Outlook. The regular password won’t work with Outlook.
Related Post: Outlook notifications are not working on Mac
Fix Outlook unable to connect to Yahoo Mail
To fix Outlook’s unable to connect to the Yahoo Mail issue, follow these steps-
- Verify IMAP settings
- Create an app password
To learn more about these steps, keep reading.
Verify IMAP settings
The most important setting to check for an Outlook account is the IMAP option. Unlike Gmail or Hotmail accounts, Outlook does not let users connect to Yahoo Mail accounts. To set up a Yahoo Mail account in Outlook, choose IMAP. The steps will look like these-
First, go to your @yahoo.com mail account in the Outlook app and select IMAP.
Following that, enter the values and setting like this
- Server: imap.mail.yahoo.com
- Port: 993
- Encryption method: SSL/TLS
- Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
- Port: 465
- Encryption method: SSL/TLS
Make sure to check the “Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)” checkboxes.
Once done, click the Next button and enter your password.
Create an app password
The first tutorial ends with entering a password in Outlook. However, if you use the regular account password, Outlook won’t allow you to access your mail account. You have to create an app password. For that, log into your Yahoo Mail account > hover your mouse over your profile picture > select the Account info option.
Switch to the Account security tab and click the Generate app password button. Verify yourself by entering the password.
- Next, select the Outlook desktop option from the drop-down list, and click the Generate button.
- Copy the password from the website, and paste it into the Outlook app.
- If you go next, you can find your Yahoo Mail account added in the Outlook app. A
If you have two-factor authentication enabled, it’s recommended that you disable it temporarily while you set up your account. Once everything is set up, you can re-enable it.
Hello, My name is Shari & I am a writer for the ‘Outlook AppIns’ blog. I’m a CSIT graduate & I’ve been working in the IT industry for 3 years.