How to set Outlook as the default Email Reader on Mac as your default email reader, this article will be helpful. You can change your default email reader to Outlook with a valid Microsoft Office 365 subscription. Mac users often opt to use some Microsoft apps like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc. instead of in-built alternatives made by Apple. The reasons for this could be due to features, user interface, support, or simply because they’re more accustomed to Microsoft software.
What happens when you change the in-built email reader on Mac
Before opting for a different email service like Outlook, there are a few things you should know about changing from Apple Mail.
- The Apple Mail app stays on your computer.
- Your email messages will stay the same in the Mail app. They are linked to your email account, so you can sync them across all email clients.
- You can open and use both email clients at the same time. However, Outlook will open when you click on an
- email address on a webpage or somewhere else.
How to set Outlook as a default email client on Mac
To set Outlook as default email reader on Mac, follow these steps-
- You can download the Microsoft Outlook app for Mac from the App Store.
- Open the app and enter your email address.
- Click on the “Go” button on the home screen to access the status bar.
- Select the applications you want to use.
- To open the Mail app, double-click on it.
- Click on the Mail option in the status bar to open your inbox.
- PreferenceSelect your preferences.
- Select Microsoft Outlook as your default email reader.
To get started with Microsoft Outlook, you need to download the app on your computer. You can either search for it in the App Store and download it, or download the .pkg file from the Microsoft website. In either case, you’ll need a valid Microsoft Office 365 subscription.
After you download the app, follow the screen instructions to add your email address. If you already did that, you don’t need to do it again.
Open Microsoft Outlook. If you have it in the dock, you can open it from there. Otherwise, you can use the Spotlight search to find the app on your computer. Alternatively, you can go to the home screen, click on the Go button in the status bar, and select the Applications option from the list.
Now you can find all installed apps in the Applications window. To open the Mail app, double-click the icon, then click the Mail option in the status bar and select Preferences.
You can alternatively press Cmd+, as well. In the General tab, there is a drop-down list labeled as Default email reader. You need to expand this list and select Microsoft Outlook.
Hello, My name is Shari & I am a writer for the ‘Outlook AppIns’ blog. I’m a CSIT graduate & I’ve been working in the IT industry for 3 years.