Table of Contents
How to set up Two-factor authentication (2FA) for Gmail in Outlook, companies have been working to create a standard to protect data transfer over the internet. Protection with a single password is no longer enough. The best way to secure your accounts is with two-factor authentication, or 2FA. This means you need an additional step of a unique code, typically via an app, to log in. This is useful in doubling the security of email accounts.
Set up Two-factor authentication (2FA) for Gmail in Outlook
Related Post: How to Delete or Turn off Rules in Outlook
Previously, if your Google account used two-step verification, you needed a password to link your email account with the regular password process. This included an additional step to authenticate the account access with a phone verification code.If you want to set up two-factor authentication for Gmail using the desktop version of Outlook, it is similar to adding a regular account.
The new authentication process works well with Microsoft 365, Office 2021, 2019, and 2016. To configure Gmail with Outlook, users will need to change their Google account security settings.
Steps to set up two-factor authentication in Google account:
Google’s two-factor authentication can be set up by following these steps:
1) Log in to your Google account with your credentials. Go to Security.
2) Click on the “2-Step Verification” option in the “Signing into Google” section. Then, click on the “Get Started” button.
3) Please enter your account password and phone number. You can also authenticate your account using a security key or by receiving a prompt on your phone.
4) You’ll be asked if you want a text message or phone call with a unique code sent to your phone number. This code is necessary if you lose your phone or your second step is unavailable, so you’ll have a backup option to help you get into your account.
5) Now, please enter the code you received on your phone. After you have entered the code, please click on the “Next” button.
6] On the next page, click on the Turn on button.
After you have completed the steps, you can configure a secure password to use with Outlook.
Steps to configure Gmail with Outlook:
1. Open Outlook.
2. Now, to add an account, go to File > Info > Account Information. Then, click the “Add account” button.
3. Before you can set up two-factor authentication for your Gmail account, you’ll need to confirm the account address. Click the Connect button to get started.
4. Click on the “Next” button and enter your Gmail account password to confirm.
5. Now click on the Sign-in button. After entering the code sent to your phone, you can confirm two-step verification.
6. Done.Click on the Allow button. You can also clear the “Set up Outlook Mobile on my phone” option.
7] Click on the Done option.
Outlook is now ready to send and receive emails from your Gmail account. By connecting your Gmail account with Outlook, you can easily access your data in one place. We hope you found the steps in this guide useful. Let us know if you have any questions.
Why Outlook isn’t accepting my password?
If you’re having trouble logging into your Gmail account using your password, and you’re positive that you’re using the right password, it’s possible that you’re using an older version of Outlook that doesn’t support the faster Gmail setup option. In that case, you’ll need to use two-factor authentication and an app password to help verify that you’re the person trying to access your Gmail account.
Can I add a Gmail account in Outlook without setting up two-factor authentication?
You can add your Gmail account to Outlook without setting up two-factor authentication or using an app password, but you have to turn on a setting that allows “less secure apps” to connect to your account. This kind of setup is not recommended because it doesn’t protect your account as well as two-factor authentication or an app password would.