What is the difference between Outlook & Outlook Express and collaboration clients is designed to meet the needs of both home and business users. The Outlook family of clients provides easy and reliable Internet, e-mail, and newsgroup functionality for home users, while business users can benefit from its reliability and ease of use, as well as its more robust e-mail functionality and tight integration between e-mail and tools for information management and collaboration.
Outlook vs Outlook Express
Outlook Express is the e-mail client that comes with Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.x, Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.x, the Microsoft Windows 98 operating system, the Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me) operating system, the Microsoft Windows 2000 operating systems, and Microsoft Office 98 for the Macintosh. Outlook Express is designed for users who get their e-mail messages by dialing into an Internet service provider (ISP).
Microsoft Outlook is the best messaging and collaboration client. It is part of Microsoft Office and Exchange Server. Outlook also works with Internet Explorer 5.5. It has complete e-mail, calendaring, and contact management.
Choose Outlook Express if:
- You need only Internet e-mail and newsgroup functionality for Microsoft Windows 95 and later, Macintosh, and UNIX platforms.
- You want to use the Outlook Express integration with Office 98 for Macintosh.
Choose Outlook if:
- You need e-mail and discussion group functionality that is based on advanced Internet standards.
- You need integrated personal calendars, group scheduling, task, and contact management.
- You need e-mail and calendaring that work across different versions of Windows and Macintosh platforms.
- You use or plan to use Outlook with Office 97, Office 2000, Office XP, or Exchange Server and want to take
- advantage of the integration between the two.
- Robust, integrated run-time and design-time collaboration capabilities are required.
Outlook Express was an email client from Microsoft that shipped with Windows XP and Windows 2000. For Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7, it was Windows Live Mail instead. Windows 11/10/8 onwards, Microsoft suggests that you use Microsoft Outlook or Windows Mail app.
Can you get Outlook Express on Windows 10 or Windows 11?
It’s not advisable to download Outlook Express from an archive or download site because it’s outdated and unsupported. Instead, you could switch to Microsoft Outlook or Windows Mail app – or OE Classic, which may be a better option for you!
Hello, My name is Shari & I am a writer for the ‘Outlook AppIns’ blog. I’m a CSIT graduate & I’ve been working in the IT industry for 3 years.