Discover three different fixes on how to disable windows defender windows 10 for home and pro edition temporarily using gpedit, command prompt, and registry editor methods. We will make use of default system settings or registry items to get the job done. It can help you install blocked software and programs into your computer. Plus, an antivirus of your choice can also be activated.
Windows Defender is like any other antivirus software. It can protect your PC from viruses, hacking attacks, and other malicious activities. Thus, disabling this will also leave your computer vulnerable. Your laptop might receive threats and attacks if you are connected to the internet 24/7. So have an antivirus activated on your system while trying to disable windows defender?
Table of Contents
How To Disable Windows Defender
One common question that people ask is, ‘should I turn off windows defender?’ The answer is it depends if you have another 3rd party antivirus installed or not. There is no risk if you have trusted antivirus software connected. But if not, then your computer might be in trouble.
With that in mind, let’s learn how to disable windows defender.
Disable windows defender real time protection
- First, of all, open the ‘Start‘ menu by clicking on the bottom left corner or by pressing the ‘Windows‘ key.
- Select ‘Settings.’
- Click on ‘Update & Security‘.
- Choose ‘Windows Defender‘ from the list of different options on the left sidebar.
- Pick ‘Open Windows Defender Security Center.’
- Navigate to the ‘Virus & Threat Protection‘ button.
- Open ‘Virus & Threat Protection Settings‘.
- Turn off options like ‘Real-Time Protection,’ ‘Cloud-Delivered Protection,’ ‘Automatic Sample Submission‘ and ‘Controlled Folder Access.’
If you have the latest updated version of Windows 10 installed, the windows control center will ask for permissions while trying to turn off real-time protection. Choose ‘Yes‘ to grant permissions to windows defender if it prompts.
Disable Windows Defender Group Policy
- First of all, open ‘Run.’ You can do that by pressing hotkeys ‘Windows + R’ or by searching ‘run’ on the Cortana search box.
- Type ‘gpedit.msc‘ and press enter.
Alternatively, you can type ‘Edit Group Policy’ in the Cortana search box to open the local group policy editor. It is just the same thing. Take a look.
- From the list of different options on the left sidebar in ‘Local Group Policy Editor,’ navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components.
- Scroll down and select “Windows Defender Antivirus.” Then double click on “Turn off windows defender antivirus.”
- Select ‘Disabled.’
- Then ‘Apply‘ and finally ‘OK.’
In this way, you can disable windows defender in windows 10 using Local Group Policy Editor. If you want to turn it back on in the future, follow the same procedure up to step 4. In step 5, switch from disabled to either ‘Not Configured’ or ‘Enabled.’ This will turn windows defender back on.
Disable Windows Defender Registry
Note: This method needs restarting of the computer at the end. So be prepared by saving all your necessary data and files before getting started. Also, close any software or window that you are previously running. This will protect your work. With that said, below are the steps to disable windows defender using Registry Editor.
- Open up Registry Editor by searching ‘regedit’ on the Cortana search box in the start menu.
- User Account Control will ask for permission when you try to open the Registry Editor. Grant permissions by selecting yes.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE >Policies > Microsoft > Windows Defender.
- Right-click Windows Defender folder.
- Hover over to ‘New’ to and select ‘DWORD (32-bit value)’. Take help from the screenshot below.
- Rename the registry item to ‘DisableAntiSpyware.’
- Double click on registry item ‘DisableAntiSpyware’ after renaming it.
- Change the value data to 1 and select OK.
- Finally, restart your computer.
We can turn off windows defender by using windows security options to disable real-time protection. We can also use local group policy editor or registry editor to disable windows antivirus.
I don't recommend turning off windows defender if you don't have an antivirus program installed. Disabling windows defender will make your computer vulnerable to multiple security threats, issues, and potential viruses.
Windows Defender can detect and fight against malware and malicious files, but it still lacks many features like real-time online browsing protection. It always cannot scan or block suspicious links and websites that can lead to cyber-attacks. So, installing an additional antivirus program will add another layer of security into your system.
Whenever we install third-party antivirus software, Windows Defender is automatically disabled. However, it is just as good as any other antivirus software. So, you can keep it.
No, the windows defender does not affect gaming performance if you have purchased the game from the original store. Also, it is not good to disable windows defender just for gaming purposes because it can lead to security issues of your computer behind the scenes. It does not slow down or lag the PC, even if it did, it's unnoticeable.
We can turn off windows defender permanently by turning off real time protection, using group policy editor, and registry items. If we install an external software or antivirus solution, it should automatically do the job.
Also, Read Bluetooth Paired But Not Connected Fix