Table of Contents
External Hard Drive Not Showing Up, Many people may have encounter these problems and wonder how to fix the external hard drive not showing up in Windows 10 issue. As all of you know, That the software can be easily fixed by installing the chrome VPN extension and also downloading the right file. At the right time, things are a little bit more complicated with the hardware.
External Hard Drive Not Showing Up
Reason for this problem may be: the improper or a bad hardware connection, However the disk is raw or has no drive letter, outdated or the corrupt driver, or incompatible file system, the external hard drive is unallocated, errors inside the disk, likewise physical damage, etc.
Related Article: System Thread Exception Not Handled
For that, based on the possible problems, you can try the solutions we have given below to solve this problem.
Method – 1. Check your Hardware Connection
In this method You have to check if the external hard drive is properly connected, you have to try to plug the USB cable into another USB port, or also you can plug it in another PC to see if it can be recognized. If the cable is still not showing up in your system, then you can try other fixes below.
Method – 2. By Assigning a Drive Letter for the Drive
In case the external hard drive letter is missing or it is conflicted with some other drive, then it probably will not show on your system. You have to check if the drive is assigned a drive letter in Windows Disk Management and either you assign or change a drive letter for it.
- Here simply Press the Windows + X and then select Disk Management.
- When In Disk Management, now you can see all detected disks that are listed. Here If you see your external hard drive is listed but it has no drive letter, you have to right-click the drive and select the Change Drive Letter and the Paths.
- After that, click the Add button and select one drive letter for it, or you can also click Change button to change one drive letter for the drive.
Method – 3. Update or Reinstall the Device Driver
The driver problems may be the reason for the external hard drive not showing up Windows 10 error. You have to follow the steps given below to update or reinstall the device driver.
- First you have to Press Windows + X and then select Device Manager.
- When In Device Manager window, now you have to expand Disk drives and check the status of the external hard drive. Here If you see a yellow or the red mark next to the drive, then that means that it has a driver issue.
- Now for that You have to right-click the external hard drive and click the Update driver, and then select Search automatically for the updated driver software to install to that of the latest driver.
- However, another option which you have here is that you can also select Uninstall device to uninstall the driver. And then Restart your pc to automatically reinstall the driver.
Method – 4. By Updating the USB Mass Storage Device Driver
Inside the Device Manager window, you can also expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers, simply right-click the USB Mass Storage Device, and then select Update driver or Uninstall device in order to update or uninstall the USB mass storage device driver.
Method – 5. Run Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
This is Another solution to fix the External hard drive not detected/recognized Windows 10 error which is to troubleshoot hardware and devices issues.
- Here You have to press Windows + R, and then type exe -id Device Diagnostic in the Run dialog, and then press Enter to open the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter window.
- And then Follow the instructions to find and fix problems with devices and hardware.
In this article we have discussed that how To solve external hard drive not showing up in Windows 10 problem, you can try these 5 fixes above. If you have any better solutions, please do not hesitate to share all of them with us. There are many more solutions all over internet for this topic but we have find the best 5 solution which are easy to apply yet effective.
Hello, My name is Shari & I am a writer for the ‘Outlook AppIns’ blog. I’m a CSIT graduate & I’ve been working in the IT industry for 3 years.