HDMI is a great way to get high-quality audio and video output, so it’s no surprise that so many people use it. That said, many Windows users have reported various HDMI output problems.
HDMI is a common standard for both audio and video output. It is used by billions of devices around the world and is supported by most modern PCs. Output problems can affect any Windows version from Windows XP to Windows 10.
You might experience some audio or display issues when you connect your personal computer to an HDMI-compatible device, such as a television, monitor, or set of speakers. Review the information below to check your hardware and software, and resolve specific problems.
Before we get into more complicated methods, let’s review a few simple steps.
Make sure you use the correct HDMI cable for your PC
Display devices that have HDMI generally have more than one input port. Make sure that the input setting on your display is the same as the port to which your PC is connected. For example, if the source is HDMI 1, then you should connect the cable to the HDMI 1 port.
If you’re using a PC with an HDMI device, you might need to buy an adapter to connect the two.
Related Post: Fixes For HDMI Cable Problems
- First, check your HDMI connections. Unplug the cables and plug them back in. Make sure they fit tightly for an optimal experience.
- If your HDMI monitor, TV, or speakers aren’t working properly, try restarting your PC. Then, power down your HDMI device before unplugging it. Wait for one minute, plug it in and power it on. This will refresh your HDMI connection and you’ll be ready to follow the next steps.
Set your HDMI device as the default audio device
In order to use HDMI output, you’ll need to set your HDMI device as the default. Otherwise, your PC will only output sound to one audio device at a time and HDMI output won’t be an option.
You can select your HDMI output device by making it the default device. This will change the sound to come from that device instead. If you’re switching between the sound on your PC and an external HDMI device, you’ll need to open the sound devices again to make sure the right output device is activated.
Here are the steps to configuring the audio output when an HDMI cable is connected. In order to select HDMI as default when using an HDMI connection, you will need to follow these steps. Otherwise, the audio will output into your computer’s headphones and/or speakers.
- Right-click on the volume icon on the taskbar.
- Then Click ‘Playback devices. The sound window will open.
- On the ‘Playback’ tab, select HDMI or your digital output device.
- After That Set the option as default.
Upon opening your Device Manager, you’ll want to ensure that the ‘Show disconnected devices’ option is enabled so you can view all devices- both active and inactive- that are connected to your computer.
Roll back to an older driver
To roll back a driver, first open Device Manager. Find the driver that you want to roll back. It will have an exclamation mark next to it. Right-click on the driver and select “Roll Back Driver.” This will install the driver that was previously installed.
Clicking on ‘Properties’ and then going to the ‘Driver’ tab will usually allow you to find the ‘Roll back’ option. However, as seen in the image below, the option is usually unclickable.
Uninstalling and reinstalling the driver may help to avoid any potential compatibility issues. Use these steps to uninstall the driver:
- First, open ‘Device manager and find the malfunctioning driver.
- Then right-click on it and select ‘uninstall’.
- Select ‘Delete the driver software and click ‘OK’.
- Restart your PC.
Update to the latest drivers
Updating your drivers is an important part of keeping your computer running smoothly. Fix HDMI Output Problems in Windows 10 Manufacturer websites are a great place to download the latest drivers for free.
Install the drivers in compatibility mode
- Right-click on the driver setup file and choose ‘Properties’.
- Then Go to the ‘Compatibility’ tab.
- Select ‘Run this program in compatibility mode and choose Windows 7.
- Now Click ‘Apply’ and ‘OK’.
- Run the setup file.
Set your secondary display
When connecting a secondary display to your PC, you’ll want to adjust the settings in either the NVIDIA or AMD graphics card control panel. The process for doing this is the same with both manufacturers.
- Open NVIDIA Control Panel.
- Then Go to ‘Set up multiple displays.
- Ensure that your HDMI-connected display is showing.
- If it is not showing, try selecting and unselecting other options on the list. Some users have reported that this has enabled them to activate their secondary displays.
Run a full system scan
Computer viruses can wreak havoc on your PC, including disrupting your HDMI connection. To detect and eliminate malware, perform a full system scan. Windows’ built-in antivirus, Windows Defender, is an effective tool for this purpose.
To run a full system scan with Windows Defender, follow these steps:
- Go to Start, type ‘defender’ then double click on Windows Defender to launch the program.
- When In the left-hand bar, select the shield icon.
- In the new window, click the ‘Advanced scan’ option.
- Check the ‘full scan’ option to launch a full system scan.
Update your Operating System
Microsoft is always rolling out updates for Windows in order to keep your computer stable and address different issues. Be sure that your Windows OS is up-to-date.
To access the Windows Update section, type ‘update’ into the search box. Fix HDMI Output Problems in Windows 10 This method works for every version of Windows. From there, go to Windows Update and check for updates. Finally, install the latest available updates.
Replace your cable
Sometimes, the root of the problem isn’t software-related. If you’re troubleshooting and nothing seems to be working, it might be a hardware issue. Try other products and see if that solves the output issues.
If you’re still having issues, please get in touch with Windows 10 Support. We’re glad that the solutions we provided helped you sort out your HDMI output problems. Help out other community members by sharing which solution/s worked for you.