This guide explains how to fix HDMI sound not working Windows 10 on tv, and cable for every type of sound cards like NVIDIA, Conextant, Realtek, etc. & devices like Mac, and others.
High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) is a cable & connector responsible for transmitting audio & video data between different devices. HDMI follows up the EIA/CEA-861 standards & it’s a replacement for the analog multimedia transmission.
How To Fix HDMI Sound Not Working Windows 10
If the sound not working on the HDMI issue occurs when the PC is connected to the TV, use the solutions listed here. Before starting to repair, make sure that the audio is not muted in any way. You can click on the speaker icon at the bottom taskbar to increase or decrease system volume in Windows 10.
The products from the following brands are found to be heavily affected by the hdmi sound not working on tv issue.
|LG TV||Sony Bravia|
|Sharp Aquos||Sanyo TV|
|Ubuntu||AMD & NVIDIA|
Alright, let’s learn how to fix the HDMI sound not working windows 10 problems.
Restart Windows Audio Services
Follow these steps to restart windows audio if HDMI is not producing sound on TV:
- Press Win+R or Fn+Win+R to open the run dialog box.
- Type services.msc & press enter.
- Scroll down & right-click ‘Windows Audio.’
- Click ‘Restart’ and wait.
This method requires a high-speed network connection to update drivers.
- Right-click Start menu & select ‘Device Manager’.
- Expand ‘Audio inputs and outputs’ by clicking on the little drop-down arrow.
- Right-click on ‘Speakers (High Definition Audio)’ & select update.
- Select the option ‘search automatically’.
- Follow the on-screen windows instructions by pressing next and next.
This scans directories on the internet to download & install a newer version of the driver. This will fix most of the problems related to hdmi sound not showing up.
If there are no new releases, it will say ‘The best drivers for your device are already installed.’ If this happens, download Intel Driver Update Utility & install it on your computer. Then perform the following steps:
- Open Intel Driver Update Utility software.
- Click ‘Start Scan’ after connecting to high-speed internet.
- Select all outdated drivers one by one and click on the ‘Update’ button.
Note: Always restart your computer after updating the drivers to fix the problem.
Reinstall Sound Controllers
Sometimes corrupt sound controllers may also cause an issue with HDMI. Follow these steps to reinstall sound controllers.
- First access the ‘Device Manager’ by using the Cortana search box.
- Expand ‘Sound, video, and game controllers.’
- Right-click on all sound controllers and uninstall them one by one.
- Reboot PC when done.
After rebooting, Windows will re-install the required sound controllers itself (internet connection might be required).
Set Default Sound Device
First, connect your audio device to a laptop running on Windows 10 OS. Then follow these instructions:
- Open Control Panel
- Navigate to Hardware & Sound > Sound.
- Right-click empty whitespace on the Playback tab.
- Enable show & disconnected devices.
- Then, select your preferred audio device.
- Click on ‘Set Default’ and then ‘OK’.
Launch Sound Troubleshooter
- Right-click the’ speakers/headphones’ icon on the bottom right corner of the taskbar.
- Select ‘Troubleshoot Sound Problems’
- Follow the screen commands by pressing next.
hdmi sound not working on tv
The settings for TV brands vary. So, check your TV manual or guide to perform these steps.
- Set HDMI signal from internal inputs to standard format using a remote control.
- Check the cable if it is connected properly with TV and Laptop computers or other devices.
- Replace the HDMI wire if it is damaged.
- Power reset & factory reset your TV system if wiring is done properly.
HDMI sound not working mac
For Mac Users, identify the port first and connect properly between the source and output. When connected, turn on Mac PC, turn off & unplug the HDMI cable and then replug. Then, long press and select the speaker icon. Click on the HDMI-connected TV device option & it should solve.
You can also set system preferences.
- Click on the apple icon.
- Navigate to System Preferences > Sound (icon) > Sound Effects .
- Go to the ‘Play Sound Effects Through’ dropdown and select your device.
- Switch to the output tab & select the TV.
- Then go to application > utilities >audio midi setup .
- In the output tab, select your TV as a source.
This should solve the mac HDMI sound not working error. In addition to that, navigate to applications > utilities > MIDI setup . Then set format values to 00Hz of the HDMI device. You can also try solutions like power cycling the input & output devices. Sometimes, turning off the monitor & reconnecting cables also help.
I hope that you find this guide helpful about how to fix HDMI sound not working windows 10 on tv and mac has helped you. These were some of the many methods to get sound from HDMI audio drivers. You can try all of them and tell us what worked for you best in the comments below.
Hello, My name is Shari & I am a writer for the ‘Outlook AppIns’ blog. I’m a CSIT graduate & I’ve been working in the IT industry for 3 years.