Discover how to fix no speakers or headphones are plugged in Windows 10. If the sound hardware is excellent, but the computer is not giving an output, then you are on the right page. There are many reasons, but the problem could arise due to the damaged hardware. We will cover all those possible solutions here so that your PC starts producing audio again.
This might occur in all brands of computers including Dell, HP, or any other. So if you are looking to fix for a particular brand, this post is it. This works for Realtek high definition audio drivers, Dolby, or headphones.
Table of Contents
No speakers or headphones are plugged in fix
There could be many reasons why the computer says no speakers or headphones are plugged in. The error could arise due to hardware defects, outdated audio drivers, or lack of administrative privileges. To confirm this, try to load your audio hardware into other devices and see if it works there or not. Do not try these fixes if the hardware is damaged. Only apply these solutions when there are no hardware defects.
Update audio drivers
Have you installed the latest audio drivers for windows 10? If there is an outdated audio driver, the sound will not work. You need to check their status first. Follow these steps to get the latest audio drivers for your computer. You will need a high-speed internet connection to update any driver on the PC.
- Right-click on the start menu and go to ‘Control Panel.’
- Select ‘Hardware and sound.’
- Click on ‘Device Manager.’
- Find ‘audio inputs and outputs’ and click on the arrow to the left to unlock more options.
- There you will find different audio devices connected to your computer. Right-click on a device and select ‘Update Device Software.’
- Click on ‘Search automatically for updated driver software.’ Windows will do your job.
- Update all the listed audio devices one by one.
Fix Using Command Prompt
I am assuming that you already have the latest audio drivers installed. You can also use the command prompt to solve ‘no speakers or headphones are plugged in windows 10‘ issues. Perform the following steps to address the audio problem using the command prompt.
- Go to the Cortana search box in Windows 10 taskbar and type ‘cmd.’
- Right-click on ‘Command Prompt’ and select ‘Run as administrator.’
- It will display a full-screen pop-up window asking for administrator permissions. Select ‘Yes.’
- Now type the following code and press enter:
net localgroup Administrators /add networkservice
- Then input this command and press enter again:
net localgroup Administrators /add localservice
- Finally, close the command prompt and restart your PC.
In this way, we can solve audio hardware not detected in windows 10 using the command prompt.
The troubleshooter is another excellent way to fix sound related issues in windows 10. You can launch it in the following ways.
- Press “Windows + I” button simultaneously
- Click “Update & Security” on the settings window
- Select “Troubleshoot”
- Click on “Playing Audio”
- Select “Run the troubleshooter”
The system will now start scanning for errors and detect problems with audio. Just follow on-screen instructions and keep pressing next as it commands. You can easily fix sound issues using this, make sure you’re connected to the internet for more enhancements.
In the device manager, go to ‘other devices’ and update drivers listed there as well. This might also solve the other audio problem in windows 10. Many complain that the issue remains the same even if you install the latest audio drivers. You should manually update drivers associated with the motherboard if it didn’t work.
- Open ‘Driver Easy’ and click on ‘Scan Now.’
- It will show a list of available motherboard drivers. Select ‘Update,’ and it will upgrade the proper driver.
- You can manually install a driver in the free version after a download is complete.
In this way, we can manually update a motherboard driver in windows 10. After updating all these drivers, your computer should now play sound. If the problem still arises, consider taking the next solution.
Sometimes hardware maintenance is required. It might cause no speakers or headphones are plugged in windows 10 problem. The first thing you need to do is check if cables, wires, and audio jacks are okay. There should not be any expired, old, or damaged audio devices. Sometimes broken internal circuits may also cause the problem. Check if there is no rust or dust in audio hardware. Make sure that the wire is fine and not bitten by children, pets, or subjected to cut. You have to take care of all these things properly before trying to solve technical issues with audio devices.
Plus, you can also check if there are any issues with the soundcard. If there are any problems related to audio hardware, please contact your PC manufacturer. There’s nothing we can do about a poorly manufactured product. You can either replace it if you have a warranty from the provider or buy a new one.
no speakers or headphones are plugged in windows 7 fix
For Windows 7 users, navigate to Control Panel > Device Manager > Update Drivers . Then, right-click and update sound drivers and this should fix the problem. If this does not work, uninstall all the already existing sound drivers, unplug the sound cable, replug and reinstall the drivers once again.
Below is an alternative fix:
- Open start menu and select control panel
- Go to hardware & sound
- Choose ‘Manage Audio Device’ – found under sound.
- In the playback tab, right-click on blank white space.
- Enable ‘show disconnected device’ & ‘show disconnected device’ options. There must be checkmarks on them.
- Then, download the IDT HD Audio Codec Driver.
- After downloading, install those codecs on your computer and it should fix.
no speakers or headphones are plugged in dell laptop advice
If you are using Dell, then the first fix would be to update the drivers. The steps to update drivers are the same as mentioned above for any operating system that you are using. In addition to all the solutios here, if none of them worked, try to reinstall windows on your own risk after data backup.
In case if it still fails to work, then a common reason could be that your hardware is damaged. You need to take your PC for repair in a computer hardware shop near you or official DELL vendors for warrantied laptops.
To solve no speakers or headphones are plugged in windows 10 fix, update all audio drivers. If it didn’t work, then try using the command prompt to make the computer detect audio hardware. And in the end, if none of them worked, then there is only one reason: you have a terrible audio device. Let me know if any of the above methods helped you play audio in windows 10. [C U]