Table of Contents
- How to Get Sound through HDMI Windows 10
- HDMI Sound Not Working
- How to Fix HDMI No Sound Windows 10 – Best Solution
- Fix HDMI Sound Driver Windows 10
- Fix HDMI sound not working on TV windows 10
- Windows 10 HDMI Audio Not Working – Latest Solutions from 2019, 2018, 2017 and 2016
- Fix #30
- Fix #29
- Fix #28
- Fix #27
- Fix #26 – Windows 10 HDMI sound not detected
- Fix #25
- Fix #24 – Windows 10 no audio HDMI
- Fix #23
- Fix #22
- Fix #21 – Sound not coming through HDMI Windows 10
- Fix #20
- Fix #19
- Fix #18
- Fix #17
- Fix #16
- Fix# Go Back to Old Audio Driver
- Fix #15
- Fix #14
- Fix #13 – Sound not going through HDMI Windows 10
- Fix #12
- Fix #11 – Download the right Intel or AMD HDMI drivers
- Fix #10
- Fix #9
- Fix #8
- Fix #7
- Fix #6
- Fix #5
- Fix #4
- Fix #3
- Fix #2
The windows-10-hdmi-audio-not-working, HDMI is a standard technology that transfers audio and video at the same time, enabling you to hook up all of your devices through just one single connection.
Yet if you’re having HDMI no sound Windows 10 issues, there are ways to fix them.
Hearing audio through PC speakers. You have video but no audio?
Smart TVs, home theater receivers, digital TVs, HD-enabled devices are some of the HDMI inputs. Blu-ray players, game consoles, A/V receivers and Windows PCs are some of the HDMI outputs.
Most people own multiple audio devices and home entertainment systems. The issue is that most of them don’t remember which outlets they plugged their speakers into.
So they end up having to try all of them until one works.
You unplug the device, reconnect it, re-establish cables and adjust audio settings!
How to Get Sound through HDMI Windows 10
HDMI sound not working on TV when connected to Windows 10 device? Is your HDMI device not showing in sound playback devices in Device Manager?
Did you install Hyper-V? Are your desktop speakers and your TV speakers turned on at the same time?
Are you having trouble running your HDMI cable to your TV’s digital audio port?
I have researched various websites and forums for this problem, finding no solution to my issue. I tried several different combinations of commands to edit the filesystem permissions, but none worked.
This content has been marked as solved on a branded website, or have been proposed by their creators as fixes at a particular branded website.
This post is going to show you 30 different solutions for HDMI audio not working in Windows 10.
HDMI Sound Not Working
- The most common reason is that HDMI smart device is not showing up in Windows 10 playback devices.
- Find the right solution based on your cause.
- The same fix will not work, even though the problem is the same.
How to Fix HDMI No Sound Windows 10 – Best Solution
The time needed for this: is 3 minutes.
In most cases, you won’t find your HDMI input on the list of available Sound options.
This means that once you connect to your Smart TV with an HDMI connection it will be treated as if it was coming from a sound card via PC speakers.
We can see the video but we won’t hear any sound as the two aren’t connected through an audio jack as well as they should be.
In 2021, be aware – one day you can get relief from this problem in a way that’s more easy to fix. windows-10-hdmi-audio-not-working These are the steps you need to follow if this is your situation.
- Open the Control Panel app in Windows 10. type the few letters of Control Panel in the search box. Click on the app in the search results
- Click on the Sound icon. adjust your computer’s settings. Make sure you can view by small icons.
- Now connect your PC to TV using HDMI connection. try to disconnect the PC speakers or any other speakers you are using. Then link your Windows 10 device to your HDMI display device.
- Sound window will open. click on Playback tab.
- HDMI related sound device is seen. find the relevant HDMI device in the list.
- Right-click it and make as Default device. when you make that HDMI audio device as default, you should be able to hear sound from it.
If the above solution does not work, one can try again by following the suggestions below:
Fix HDMI Sound Driver Windows 10
- Right-click the HDMI audio item and UNINSTALL it.
- Right-click Sound, video and game controllers and select “Scan for hardware changes“.
- This will install a typical driver which is something like this – “Device with HDMI AUDIO OUTPUT SUPPORT“.
- Now your Windows 10 HDMI audio problem should be resolved.
Note: Sometimes the HDMI audio driver already available on your computer will work properly. Then you just have to select it and make it the default sound playing device.
Fix HDMI sound not working on TV windows 10
The first place to check when your PC’s graphics start to lag is in the device manager. Open the control panel, select System, and then select ‘Device Manager’ from the left-hand menu.
Visit your motherboard or PC manufacturer’s website and download the latest graphics card drivers. Install them on your computer, then replace the old drivers with the new version.
Make sure you computer has contemporary drivers to make sure that your system can run smoothly.
- Open the “Device Manager”. (press Win key and type “device …”)
- Left-click the sound device which is having the problem.
- Right click that device and left click the option “Update driver ”.
It will solve the most of the problems.
Windows 10 HDMI Audio Not Working – Latest Solutions from 2019, 2018, 2017 and 2016
There are a number of solutions for this problem from Microsoft and other forums that have been recommended throughout the last 6 months.
Users have spent hours, weeks or even months trying to find the appropriate solutions for these issues.
Here’s a list of the latest solutions that have worked for many:
Make sure your HDMI device is not listed as a “hidden device” in Device Manager.
- Otherwise, just enable that option in Device Manager and you can see your Display Device under disabled and hidden options.
- Also during updates, Microsoft will try to install its new drivers for its integrated graphic devices. This can cause hindrance, if proper sequence is not followed during installation.
- Also some people might have multiple graphic drivers like AMD, NVIDIA, Real-Tek or multiple monitors.
While HDMI sound issues can be really frustrating, there are ways to fix them. Below is a summary of the solutions provided by users in various forums.
The first step you can take is to verify whether the audio on your playback device has been activated within the Control Panel “Sounds” properties of Windows 10.
For this to be done, people should ensure they go to the Control Panel. For this particular step in the tutorial, one can also follow these alternative methods for getting there:
- Under Hardware and Sound > Manage audio devices > Sound, you need select the “Playback’ tab.
- Then you need to left-click the “Digital Output Device (HDMI)” feature.
- This makes the device as the default option for audio in Windows 10.
- Now try to reboot the device. This should also fix many of the problems related to audio.
The third solution to try would be ensuring that the technology featured in both the computer and television is compatible with one another.
If your technical hardware isn’t up to snuff, you’ll see this kind of thing happen.
If you can’t use wireless speakers with your computer, then we recommend connecting the device to your computer via a “HDMI cable”.
You will see a video on your TV, but there’s a choice of how you can enjoy the program.
The most common symptom of an HDMI showing up as a “no signal” device is that it’s not showing up as a playback option under your Windows 10′ sound recording devices.
Some HDMI devices include multiple ports such as HDMI 1, HDMI 2 and so forth.
After connecting your computer to your HDMI TV, windows-10-hdmi-audio-not-working you’ll want to make a note of the port you used to get the job done.
Then you need to find the right options on your TV remote to get to the right port. Then you can try changing default Windows 10 audio settings so there’s no longer an error message when using HDMI cables.
After this, it’s suggested that you restart your computer. This may very well be for devices with many ports.
HP users also had problems with Windows 10 not properly recognizing their devices, making it difficult to play audio.
For example, if you happen to be HP ENVY Touch-Smart 15-j053cl Notebook PC running on Win 10 Technical Preview connected to HDMI TV.
The HDMI audio output is not shown in sound playback devices, windows-10-hdmi-audio-not-working but video is playing. There was an error message in the device manager.
A user in April 2015 said they managed to rectify the problem by downloading the Intel driver update utility and installing the latest drivers.
This software seemed to have been made to run well with Windows 10.
The Source is: hp.com
Fix #26 – Windows 10 HDMI sound not detected
If you’re using a Microsoft Surface Pro tablet and Windows 10, but it’s connected to an HDMI TV, the mouse pointer may become erratic.
Although this has nothing to do with audio problems, but this could have an impact on the way sound is used in your campaign.
There is a problem with the second display, windows-10-hdmi-audio-not-working and it’s affecting the screen rendering.
You should test the TP version with Surface Pro and HDMI devices before testing the final version.
AMD graphic card owners can encounter problems with the Catalyst Control Center not loading. Running a registry fix might be able to help.
The readme file has many suggestions for AMD users experiencing these issues with the CCC. Every month there are new developments in hardware or software technology with regard to computers or phones, computer games, etc.
Fix #24 – Windows 10 no audio HDMI
If your audio front panel stops working sometimes, windows-10-hdmi-audio-not-working the possible culprit is the audio resource file which you can read about in Windows Vista help and support.
Though this seems to work in Windows 7 and 8.1, it has some problems operating in Windows 10 .
This problem can also happen with Realtek drivers, and it happens at the beginning.
It seems to be a problem with the build 10041.
You can try going into control panel, uninstall your audio drivers and re-install them.
There haven’t been any hiccups with the initial build of the platform.
A user whose device came with Windows 8.1 started using Intel Stick PC which had its own display and sound system.
It worked on the previous operating system, windows-10-hdmi-audio-not-working but is not working with this one. Instead of restoring it from an earlier version, you can try installing drivers in compatibility mode.
Some audio problems have been experienced with the HP Omni 10 tablet when connected to a HDMI device on Windows 10.
In this device, Intel’s video and sound drivers take care of the HDMI audio.
If you are using Display Driver version 10.18.10.3348, windows-10-hdmi-audio-not-working you are able to fix your audio problems that were experienced before installing it
It’s been found that your audio driver isn’t as much as a factor for audio over HDMI as it once was, as high definition video drivers now have everything covered from speaker settings to equalization formatting.
If your audio volume is too low, you may need to install the Realtek I2S Audio Driver (version 6.2.9600.4075).
We will admit here that sometimes, when it comes to graphics, video drivers and audio updates can solve your problems – with regards to your computer’s sound card.
Fix #21 – Sound not coming through HDMI Windows 10
You are using HDMI TV and a Windows 10 laptop with Realtek HD Audio. But you’re not hearing any sound – ELD/PDP/LCD/OLED etc.
If an output device isn’t playing nice with Windows 10, windows-10-hdmi-audio-not-working the computer’s driver utility is likely at fault. We can fix this problem by –
- Go to Device manager – > Sound, video and game controllers – > Realtek High definition audio
- Right-click on that item and Choose Scan for Hardware changes.
- In the list of audio device, your TV or output device should be displayed. Just make that the default device.
Done, your sound is back from TV.
The problem of audio not working is particularly frustrating, but it has a simple solution. All you have to do is turn your devices on in sequence.
For example, if you are playing music on your computer, remember to pause it before switching your speakers on.
- First power off your laptop.
- Then power on your TV.
- Now connect your Windows 10 laptop to TV using HDMI cable.
- Now switch on the laptop. # This last step should be the final one.
An alternate solution is to totally slay the need for HDMI cables.
The way it works is that you are able to plug the TV Stick into your monitor. windows-10-hdmi-audio-not-working This helps you connect the monitor to your devices without the monitor speakers.
You should be able to stream video and audio from a variety of different sources like YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime etc.
There is no need of any Windows 10 HDMI driver like Realtek or NVDIA etc. This totally eliminates the need of graphics drivers in general.
The solution requires some additional monies for the Firestick, etc. This also solves problem with Wireless Display (WiDi).
A completely different solution is replacing Windows with an alternative operating system like Ubuntu or Mac, which are better equipped for viewing content on HDMI-equipped televisions.
Sometimes, videos may not play with sound and this could actually be due to corrupt audio driver in windows 10.
All you have to do is use a utility like SFC.exe and Run As Administrator.
This will scan all protected system files and replace corrupt files with a cached copy. These are stored in WinDir.
You can also check the log (<WinDir>\Logs\CBS\CBS.log) to see if any files or programs are not being repaired. If a file is missing, check on a computer that has a working copy of the same OS and get it from there.
Sometimes when you set up HDMI to PC with Windows 10, your sound not working at all or it cut off .
This issue can be resolved by checking if the audio adapter is disabled. Make sure that there are no other devices that could be causing interference by checking through Windows Device Manager.
The easiest and quickest solution for this problem is to replace the backlight and inverter cable assembly.
From Control Panel, you can visit the Start screen and choose Settings. windows-10-hdmi-audio-not-working Under Personalize, click on “Change PC settings” .
One monitor of your three – if not more – will display something like “AV receiver” as its name.
Then click on “Extended Screens”. Then where it says “Connect to a Video Source,” click the option that says, “Extended Desktop to this Display”.
Last but not least, you can now receive your audio through your AV receiver like Denon AVR-4100. The solution is simple but may take quite some trial and error when looking to resolve the issue.
Fix# Go Back to Old Audio Driver
Sometimes, updating your drivers for your NVIDIA, Realtek can fix the no audio problem.
For some people, the secret to getting their free sound card drivers back is by rolling back to an earlier version of Windows. Before you updated your computer with Windows 10, your sound card must have been working smoothly.
If you are getting no audio out of your HDMI TV after updating to the latest driver, windows-10-hdmi-audio-not-working then here is how you can fix it.
In the Device Manager, you can use the option of “Roll Back Driver.” This should bring the quo-status to the original.
Sometimes the sound stops working due to the installation of Hyper-V.
You’ve been using VirtualBox before and have recently moved over to Hyper-V. Suddenly, this issue crops up.
In order to have a proper video, it’s important that you have audio as well. It is an important part of any video.
After that you can try this fix.
- Go to your Device Manager and from there find your Hyper-V device name.
- If its enabled, just disable it and check with your audio.
- In Case its disabled, enable it and check the status again.
If your sound isn’t working on your computer, windows-10-hdmi-audio-not-working do you know how to check if it’s an issue with Hyper-V (a hardware virtualization feature available in Windows 8 and newer versions of Windows 10)? In Case it is, try disabling or enabling it.
Sometimes, you have both desktop/laptop speakers and TV HDMI audio enabled in your computer.
The windows-10-hdmi-audio-not-working, the OS may not automatically detect which speaker setup to use.
In this case, a simple solution is to disable your laptop’s speakers before you plug the HDMI cable into the laptop. Once that’s done, then you’ll be able to hear from your TV with no problem.
Fix #13 – Sound not going through HDMI Windows 10
There is a common misconception that your HDMI TV device appears as not being visible in your list of Playback devices, which results in you deciding to take recourse through the steps as explained above.
The HDMI audio plugin on some systems is hidden by default. It can happen for many reasons, one of which might be because of an outdated driver. To fix the issue, follow these steps:
- In the Device Manager, at the top, you can select the option that says “Show Hidden devices“.
- Under the System Devices tab, you can sometimes see “High Definition Audio Controller” kind of things. One can be your onboard sound, laptop speakers and other HDMI sound.
- They can show warning signs, that they are not working.
- Then select your HDMI Audio Controller and to disable and re-enable it again.
Boot up the NVIDIA HD audio drivers. This device’s drivers may be hidden by default, windows-10-hdmi-audio-not-working so you’ll want to turn on the option to see connected devices for this specific driver.
Another way to do it is to power on your TV and computer but disregard connecting with an HDMI cable.
- After both power sources are switched on, you connect your HDMI cable.
- Your HDMI output device like monitor/TV should be visible under Sound, Video and Game Controllers in the form of driver or device name.
- Right-click it and uninstall it. Then you search for “Changes in Hardware” and make the available HDMI output device as default.
When you hear that your no audio problem has been fixed, you’ll know.
Fix #11 – Download the right Intel or AMD HDMI drivers
Sometimes there will be an option to install the default “Intel audio for display” that comes with it.
If you have no other option but to do so, there’s nothing wrong with placing your iPad behind a speaker.
Now uninstall the driver you installed earlier and install “Device with HDMI audio output support”. Voila! Try connecting your HDMI device again.
Another solution for HP DV7 laptop with AMD graphic card and an internal, integrated graphics processor is to switch off the display adapter.
You might have HDMI audio/video issues after you upgraded to Windows 10. So this will install some default drivers for your AMD and Intel cards.
First delete the old drivers. Then uninstall those related files from your system. After reboot, you can install Realtek driver as a replacement for Intel’s Realtek.
If you have AMD graphics, windows-10-hdmi-audio-not-working you can find instructions at their support page explaining how to download the required audio drivers for your specific operating system.
Download this new update (AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 15.11.1 Update) and run it.
It will fix the problems.
In the Device Manager section of the Control Panel you’ll be able to find all of your default audio drivers including those from Intel, Real-Tek, NVIDIA etc.
This is the case if you have many sound devices or speakers attached. Each device has its own unique driver, so whenever Windows 10 updates happen, it will default to using the Microsoft driver which doesn’t support HDMI.
Firstly, if you haven’t already, delete the default Microsoft Audio driver completely. Now go to your PC manufacture’s website, and download the latest Windows 10 Audio driver for your motherboard ignoring ‘Microsoft’.
Still you will not find the HDMI device you are expecting to see listed in your playback devices section.
However, you can always see that disabled Real-Tek, NVIDIA sound card drivers are selected.
Now connect your HDMI cable between your laptop and TV. When done, sound should once again come from the monitor or the TV
This solution is for everyone who wishes they could use graphics and not be held back by the toolbars and gadgets of the respective operating systems.
For example, you have no sound on your Acer E5-571 laptop when connected to a TV via an HDMI cable and Windows 10 is running.
So most people do make the mistake of uninstalling the Intel (R) HD Graphics card and reinstalling them. However, this does not solve the problem.
For this, you must uninstall the Intel Chipset Driver 10.1.1.7 first and reinstall it again. windows-10-hdmi-audio-not-working Then uninstall and reinstall the typical Intel(R) HD Graphics Family 188.8.131.5248 driver, if not already installed on your PC system.
This allows the Microsoft HD Audio device to be found in your Sound options.
The audio playback with sound on the HDMI connection will work with this app version.
When you have both integrated and secondary sound cards, a conflict arises.
In most cases, the issue is caused by a user having an outdated graphics card or the like. The solution is like this:
- Disabling drivers signing(Can easily find on Google how to..);
- Reinstalling Chipset driver from official computer’s manufacturer site;
- Reinstalling Integrated graphics card driver from official manufacturer site;
- Enabling drivers signing.
Now this should make your audio work again.
An issue regarding sound has been identified with Dell Inspiron 15 N5110 running Windows 10.
Even though Microsoft lists their drivers on their site, you may still experience an error.
- In that case, go to Dell support site and provide required information like service tag etc.
- Then download Audio_IDT_W7 or corresponding Win 10 driver.
- Install it and reboot.
- Even though it may be older than MS drivers, windows-10-hdmi-audio-not-working HDMI device is visible and also Comms Headphone device.
Sometimes, new software and hardware can mess with audio. This happens even when you’re not installing the new components yourself.
If you have installed new audio or video software, then uninstall it to see if that fixes the issue.
- Also update your Video/Audio drivers in the first case and check again.
- You can also install the latest secondard graphic driver for Windows 10 and reboot.
- Then your HDMI device should be visible in Control Panel> Sounds.
- Right-Click your “Intel(R) Display Audio” device and select “Properties”. In the pop-up, on the Driver tab, disable it for a few seconds and enable it again. The HDMI device should be visible in your Sound > Playback devices.
Another fix is to go to your BIOS settings and search for the option to change the boot order so that your system will load from a CD.
There are several settings in the audio options of most computers which you can use to give HDMI devices visibility. Turn both of these on and your HDMI device should be visible to you then.
Sometimes, you have a surround sound system like Sound Blaster Cinema and a secondary graphics card like NVIDIA GE-Force graphics GTX 970 M.
Disable it. After that, your HDMI output device would be visible. Just select it and make it the default playback device in sound settings.
On Surface Pro 4 you have Hyper-V installed, and to make your HDMI output work, you need to enable it.
For example, a user with an Acer Aspire 7745G laptop wants to connect to their Acer G276HL monitor; however they’re running Windows 10.
He first tried using the HDMI connection and received a signal via the HDMI port, windows-10-hdmi-audio-not-working but he still had issues. So he reverted to using an analog VGA method where there were no issues.
Then he uninstalled all related HDMI drivers and installed the original driver from acer. To install the driver he used “Compatibility Mode”. After that the monitor was syncing again as it should be.
Another user experiencing a similar problem on Dell Inspiron 15 N5110 who upgraded to Windows 10 wrote this comment:
He used the default MS drivers, windows-10-hdmi-audio-not-working but that was of no use. So, he tried the latest audio drivers from the Dell website.
So finally, he looked up the IDT audio driver. Drivers can be downloaded directly from IDT’s website by consulting the system tags to double check that you’re actually installing the correct driver for your computer.
But even though this driver is older than MS and latest drivers, I’m not experiencing any audio issues.
Hello, My name is Shari & I am a writer for the ‘Outlook AppIns’ blog. I’m a CSIT graduate & I’ve been working in the IT industry for 3 years.