In this report, you will discover how to fix Wireshark no interfaces found windows 10 problem. If you are looking for the best Wireshark solutions, then this page is for you. But before starting to settle, we need to learn a few things about Wireshark.
In order to understand Wireshark, you need first to know the meaning of a network packet analyzer. They are measuring tools that support detailed viewing of data packets. Data packets are units that an Internet Protocol transfers. Such units can be a set of information or files.
Wireshark provides various features like import, export, open, display, and filter data packets. It has remained an industry standard for over the years in the field of network packet analysis. Many professional companies use this tool to track and troubleshoot their network.
Table of Contents
How To Fix Error Wireshark No Interfaces Found
Introduced in 2006, Wireshark is a free network packet analyzer tool. It is open-source computer software that helps to audit network connection. It runs on various operating systems such as Windows, Linux, UNIX, MacOS, etc.
Now you know the idea about Wireshark, and we are going to move into the main topic. Here we will learn how to solve Wireshark no interfaces found windows 10 problem. The following methods also work for older version of Windows 8 & 7.
Method 1: Reinstall in Compatibility mode as administrator
There might be some compatibility issues with Wireshark and your version of the PC. Try the following steps to fix Wireshark compatibility issues:
- Uninstall the older version entirely & download a fresh copy from Wireshark official website. (Backup necessary data before uninstalling).
- Open the download folder.
- Then right-click ‘Wireshark‘ setup file and select ‘Properties.‘
- Switch to the ‘Compatibility‘ tab.
- Tick on the checkbox ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for:‘ and select ‘Windows 7‘ from the dropdown box.
- Click ‘Apply‘ and ‘OK.’
- Click on the Wireshark icon and select “Run as Administrator.”
- Complete the setup process generally like you used to do before.
Note: Do not check on ‘WinPcap x.x.x‘ & ‘UsbPcap‘ at the time of installation. After installation is complete, do not open Wireshark. Directly move into the next method.
Method 2: Configure WinPcap
After you have completed steps mentioned in method 1, you have to install WinPcap in the following ways:
- Visit winpcap.org & download it.
- Open the downloaded file location.
- Right-click on the WinPcap setup icon and select ‘Properties.’
- Change its compatibility settings to ‘Windows 7‘. Read method 1 to learn how to change compatibility settings.
- Right-click on ‘WinPcap‘ setup file.
- Select ‘Run As Administrator‘ & confirm it by clicking on ‘OK.’
- Then install it usually after applying the compatibility fix.
After these methods 1 & 2 are completed, Wireshark no interfaces found windows 10 problem will get solved. Method 3 is quite complicated, but you still want to check it out if method 1 & 2 don’t work.
Method 3: Command Prompt Fix
If you are still facing no interfaces found issues with Wireshark on Windows 10, then the following steps might help you:
- Go to the taskbar in Windows 10 and search for “cmd.”
- Right-click on “command prompt” and select “Run as Administrator.”
- Windows will ask for your administrator’s permission. Click on ‘Yes’ to grant.
- In command prompt windows, type the following code and press enter:
sc query npf
- The above code will display if the specified service is working or not. If the command prompt shows that service does not exist, type the following code and press enter:
sc stop npf
- Now input following command and press enter:
sc start npf
- Now reload Wireshark and press the hotkey F5. It will start working again.
Linux Wireshark No Interfaces Ubuntu / Linux
If you are getting the error Wireshark no interfaces found on the ubuntu Debian machine, the first thing you need to do is read the installation guide properly. Then create a group, add a user into it, and log in again.
The command lines are:
- $ sudo apt-get install wireshark
- $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure wireshark-common
- $ sudo usermod -a -G wireshark $USER
- $ sudo reboot
The last command is for rebooting the machine. Instead, you can simply log out using the following line:
- $ gnome-session-quit –logout –no-prompt (DESKTOP Only)
- $ pkill -KILL -u $USER (For Server)
- $ exit (To Exit)
Try this if it still fails: $ sudo chmod 4711 `which dumpcap`
It should work by now. However, if you are still facing issues, you can submit a support ticket to Devian Ubuntu developers.
What is WinPcap?
WinPcap is a type of packet capture tool that comes with Wireshark. It is a driver that provides access to low-level networks, to bypass network protocol stack, remote packet capture, sniffing, and network testing.
It is like a normal program for Windows OS. You can easily find it by going to control panel > programs to see if it is installed or not. You can use it on any network including VPNs. But be very careful because many use WinPcap to steal information from one’s computer. Use it only under expert supervision or if you are a professional in this field.
Is WinPcap safe?
With the help of WinPcap, we can discover anything that is being transmitted through a computer. But, our own data can leak if we use a nonsecure version of a webpage. They are the ones without SSL Certificates. If the connection is over HTTPs, it is 99% safe and protected. Above all, such data have two encryption keys that a sender and receiver may only know. I don’t recommend winPcap unless you’re an expert in network analysis.
What is NPcap?
NPcap driver is an advanced version of WinPcap with improved features and security systems. It is a component of WireShark to collect network packets. The software library provides loopback packet capture and injection.
The NPcap is highly compatible with WinPcap and uses the LibPcap Library API. It is available for free if used with Wireshark and Nmap system.
When Wireshark fails to discover any networks, it says no interfaces found. Similarly, we might get the problem due no access permissions, firewalls, and network card errors.
The common methods to fix error Wireshark no interfaces found are easy. We can do that by reinstalling the software using administrator privileges, configuring winPcap, and using command prompt.
First of all, launch Wireshark. Then, click on the interface option and select one suitable from the list on the homepage.
Yes, Wireshark needs administrative permissions to access network properties in older versions. However, it might work properly fine without having admin rights in windows 10.
Wireshark works on windows 10 but winpcap is not supported. NDIS 6 API is a good substitute.