Time and again, users complain that an error message pops up when they try to add a new mailbox to their Exchange Server from Outlook. The error message says, “The action cannot be completed. The name cannot be matched to a name in the address list.” If you’re having this problem, here’s how to fix it!
The name cannot be matched to a name in the address list
Related Article: Reconnect Outlook to Outlook.com for uninterrupted email access
The error message in Outlook hints that the target mailbox you are trying to access or find is not listed in the Global Address List. This may be due to the incorrect configuration of the Hide from Address Lists box in Mailbox properties. So, to fix it, take the following steps!
- Go to the Exchange Admin Center.
- Login with your details.
- Choose the Recipients option.
- double click the shared user mailbox.
- At the bottom find the Hide from address lists option and check if it is selected.
- Unselect the box.
- Hit the Save button.
Let’s cover the above process in a bit of detail now!
Go to the Exchange Admin Center. Enter your login details to open the Dashboard.
- From the left panel, select the Recipients
- Then, switch to the right-pane and double-click the shared user mailbox to edit it.
- Under the General menu, look for the ‘Hide from address lists
- If the box against the option is selected, uncheck it and hit the Save
- Now proceed to set up the OE365 account in Outlook.
After you’re done, please return to the Exchange admin center to check the “Hide from address lists” option.
Hello, My name is Shari & I am a writer for the ‘Outlook AppIns’ blog. I’m a CSIT graduate & I’ve been working in the IT industry for 3 years.