I went through a lot of technical problems with my laptop, and I don’t want you to do the same. Here’s my guide to DJing. I included other DJ laptops with powerful specs in case you want the BEST DJ experience possible.
A DJ laptop has specific needs. It will definitely need lots of RAM to be able to run the software smoothly. I have considered those in researching and reviewing a laptop for DJing. While the best DJ laptop has been revealed, I suggest reading the in-depth review in the next heading.
Top 7 Best Laptops for Djing in 2023
If you’re looking for a new laptop, this will help you narrow down the field so that you know which options are best for you. There are many features and benefits of DJ laptops, but you should know about their drawbacks before buying one. I’m sure you’ll find many uses for this, from writing eBooks, making web pages or even writing fiction novels.
Apple MacBook Pro 14-inch
- A DJ software would work seamlessly on this laptop
- Impressive battery life
- User-friendly retina display
- Upgradable RAM and storage space
- Provided with warranty
- Relatively lightweight design
- NOT the most budget-friendly laptop
- Does not provide many ports; NOT IDEAL for a DJ setup
- Screen size may be small for some creative professionals
The DJ laptop that you want if you’re into producing music or are a DJ. It’s an incredible laptop with excellent functionality and performance. A MacBook Pro is not a cheap laptop but if you’re looking for the best, it ticks all the boxes for me.
- Processor: System on Chip (SoC) Apple M1 Pro Chip
- OS: Supports macOS
- Graphics: Integrated 16-core GPU
- Display/Screen:14,2-inch, 3,024 x 1,064 Liquid Retina XDR display (mini-LED, 1,000 nits sustained brightness, wide color P3 gamut, Pro Motion technology)
- Memory and Storage:32GB Unified memory; up to 8TB
- RAM: Up to 64GB
- Dimensions and Weight:31 x 8.71 x 0.61 inches (31.26 x 22.12 x 1.55cm; W x D x H); 3.5 pounds (1.6kg)
- Battery Life: Up to 17 hours
- Ports:USB type-C ports 4.0 (3x); DisplayPort Thuderbolt (up to 40 Gbps); USB3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps); HDMI port, SDXC card slot
- Inclusions: USB-C to Magsafe 3 Cable (2m); 67W USB-C Power Adapter (included with M1 Pro with 8-core CPU) 96W USB-C Power Dapater (included with M1 Pro with 10-core CPU)
My Two Cents
It’s important to choose a DJ laptop that will get good battery life so you don’t have to worry about finding power on the fly.
This laptop has proven itself to be a favorite of anyone in the creative industry. It’s not just because it has the best-in-class computer hardware. The software programs for music and video editing can run seamlessly on this great laptop.
If you think your work and music files need a laptop for mixing audio and creating beats, this is the laptop for you.
Note: Each example uses the same A and B, but the content changes (to avoid plagiarism).
Everyone says that the best way to learn a new skill is by doing, so why not apply the same logic to your eCommerce website? Since this computer is upgradeable, you can get more storage space and improved performance that no other computer can do.
Price is also important. If you want to have the most attractive and the most attractive products, then you should pay for the most attractive products. I would recommend you consider what you need in a DJ laptop before purchasing it, especially if you won’t need this much processing power in a laptop.
Microsoft Surface Laptop
- Touchscreen capability
- Perfect for multitasking
- Is fast charging compared to a gaming laptop
- Contains multiple USB ports for both USB-C and USB-A
- Has a built-in AMD Radeon graphics card
- Short battery life
- Does not have an SD card reader
- Some users complain of receiving defective products
- The touch screen is unusable if you use a DJ controller
This laptop is amazing! I could show you the beauty of this laptop by just looking at the pictures and videos posted online. I guarantee, if you watch these videos you will fall in love with this laptop too. It’s a shame that this product does not come with a microphone, because it does not disappoint.
- Processor:11th-Gen Intel Core i7-1185G7
- OS: Windows Operating System (Windows 10 Home and can be upgraded to Windows 11)
- Graphics: AMD Radeon Vega 11
- Display/Screen:5-inch touch-screen, 2256 x 1504 (201 PPI)
- Memory and Storage:512GB SSD (256GB, 1TB also available)
- RAM: 16GB
- Dimensions and Weight:1 x 8.8 x 0.57 inches; 2.79 pounds
- Battery Life: up to 17 hours
- Ports: USB-C (1x); USB-A (1x), Surface Connect port, headphone jack
- Inclusions: laptop, Quick Start Guide, Power supply (PSU)
My Two Cents
The best laptops for DJs make it possible to work with others, especially those who have the same music career. Windows users are a step ahead of Mac users because they are more open and inclusive than Mac users. Windows is a better option for anyone.
I liked this because, for its price, this laptop already has Intel Core i7 and with its 16 GB RAM, this can surely handle DJing software. For someone who needs a lightweight, portable computer to work from on the road, this laptop is the best.
I’m sure you’ve seen people talking about the incredible keyboard in my ThinkPad X250. It has one of the most comfortable keyboards ever. Professional DJs often tire out. It can be tiring and monotonous to be a DJ all night long.
The SSD storage is so big you can store all the audio files you need for offline working, as well as create and save your tracks. The laptop is not only a great computer for working but it also comes with a built-in graphics card, similar to other gaming laptops.
Acer Aspire 5
- Large 15.6-inch screen
- Built-in backlit keyboard – great for DJs working in dark clubs
- SUPER affordable!
- Only has the minimum system requirements
- Battery life is also short compared to most laptops
Don’t always have to immediately buy the best laptop that DJs use when starting your music production journey. You can start anywhere. If you’re looking for an inexpensive computer, then look no further than the Acer Aspire 5.
- Processor: Intel Core i5-1035G1 (1.0 GHz with turbo boost up to 3.6 GHz)
- OS: Windows 10 Home
- Display/Screen:6-inch 16:9 display, 1920 x 1080
- Memory and Storage:8GB DDR4 memory; 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD, one available hard disk drive bay
- Dimensions and Weight:14.31 x 9.74 x 0.71 inches; 3.96 pounds
- Battery Life: up to 5 hours
- Ports: USB 3.1 Gen 1 port (1x), USB 2.0 ports (1x), HDMI port with HDCP support
- Inclusions: AC Adapter, Power Cord
My Two Cents
If you’re looking for a high-performance laptop that can do it all, you’re not looking in the right place. This is a mid-range laptop for the DJ who does not use software that uses a lot of disk space.
Compared to other high-end laptops with advanced features, this is the best for starting point. The laptop is the DJ’s best friend, so make sure your DJ has the most powerful one that they can afford, which will be a better tool for the DJ and allow them to provide their best
Whether you are just starting out or have been a professional for a long time, consider getting your first production laptop.
Asus Zen book Pro Duo 15
- The dual-OLED touch screen takes care of the visuals
- Powerful laptop at Intel Core i9
- Consists of high-speed RAM.
- An optimized cooling system addresses overheating
- Battery life can improve
- More costly compared to other laptops
Creative workstations are beautiful, but not like this one! Well, neither have I, until I saw the Asus ZenBook Pro Duo. Everyone in the creative industry would love to be able to work with a design team.
- Processor:10th generation Intel Core i9-10980HK Octa-Core Processor
- OS: Windows 10 Pro
- Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3070 GPU
- Display/Screen:4K OLED HDR touchscreen; 3840 x 2160
- Memory and Storage:1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD storage
- RAM:16 GB
- Dimensions and Weight:14.17 x 9.87 x 0.85 inches; 5.16lbs (2.34kg)
- Battery Life: Up to 5 hours
- Ports: USB-C ports (3x) and HDMI
- Inclusions: Backpack, palm rest, sleeve, stylus, power adapter and cord, user guide, warranty card
My Two Cents
If you’re searching for a powerful laptop with large hard drive storage, ASUS has your back. This DJ software has the latest operating system, which is necessary if the DJ software requires it. What sets the Zen book apart from others is the visual continuity across both screens, or it can be a multi-window experience.
Most DJs use different apps to put together the right tracks. It could be an advantage for people like me who are good at multitasking. Laptops should have numbers too but they also have to be convenient to use, to fit in your hand, have a good screen, and be easy to the light it emits is safe and not harmful, so you can work for long hours without eye strain.
Microsoft Surface Pro 8
- Better battery life than most because of its Intel Evo certification
- Intel Core i5 or i7 delivers excellent music production
- Comes with a pre-installed version of Windows 11
- SUPER lightweight; perfect for people who travel a lot
- It does not have a USB-A port, so you have to get an adapter for that
- The type cover must be purchased separately
- Compared to other versions, its entry price is expensive
- It has a smaller SSD storage compared to others
Versatile experience. Fast processor. Check. At first glance, it’s easy for me to think that this laptop doesn’t do much, but that’s not true. I’ll explain in more detail. Show you why.
- Processor:10th Gen Intel Core i5 – Intel Core i7
- OS: Windows 11
- Graphics: Intel Iris Xe Graphics
- Display/Screen:13” PixelSense Flow Display (2880 x 1920p), up to 120Hz refresh
- Memory and Storage:256 GB SSD storage
- RAM:8GB – 32GB
- Dimensions and Weight:12.74 x 9.09 x 1.91 inches; 1.7 lbs. (0.77kg)
- Battery Life: Up to 10.5 hours
- Ports: USB-C port
- Inclusions: Power supply, Quick Start Guide, Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG)
My Two Cents
Microsoft Surface Pro 8 is the company’s iPad version and has the same functionalities as a laptop. It looks great on both bezel and full-screen. And it has a level of detail so realistic, it’s as though it was shot with a 4K camera.
Even if I expected that the sound quality would be amazing given the color accuracy, I expected that the sound quality would be amazing. The background is not clear, and for someone in the music production industry who would be working with DJ software, that’s honestly a huge letdown.
Dell XPS 13
- Impressive battery life
- Has a LOT of ports available
- Can be considered a portable workstation since it packs a punch for performance
- Some users have revealed they received a defective item
- Some users have been rejected for a refund
- The battery life may be shorter than advertised
- The price point is high
- The audio does not STAND OUT
Dell XPS 13 has always been one of the most reliable laptop brands out there, and the XPS 13 is not a This laptop has earned its place on the best DJ laptops. It’s got everything you need for a super-fast, efficient, and ultra-powerful PC.
- Processor:8th Generation Intel Core i7-8550U Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)
- OS: Windows 10 Home
- Graphics: Intel HD Graphics
- Display/Screen:3-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-Glare Infinity Edge Display, Non-touch Matte
- Memory and Storage:256 GB flash memory
- RAM:8GB RAM
- Dimensions and Weight:7.87 x 0.59 x 11.97 inches; 2.64lbs
- Battery Life: Up to 9 hours
- Ports: SD card slot, USB 3.0 with Power Share, Thunderbolt 3 Type C supporting: Power in/charging, Power Share, Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps bi-directional), USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gbps), USB 3.0
- Inclusions: Power Adapter and Cord
My Two Cents
Dell computers work when it comes to performance. They rarely slow down over time, and they’re excellent laptops for heavy use. In all likelihood, the RAM of the Dell XPS 13 is only 8GB and it also has basic audio, so I think mixing and creating your tracks wouldn’t be as enjoyable as in
You’ll need a relatively stable system to be able to use software like Virtual DJ, so it’s best to not purchase a machine that will suffer from significant audio degradation over time. Did you know that the Dell XPS 13 has a few ports available within its hardware? They include USB
2.0, HDMI, DisplayPort, Gigabit Ethernet, It’s a clever design with tons of possibilities. This laptop is an amazing performer and speed-wise, but if you plan to use it as a DJ’s rig in the long term you should think about other options.
Apple MacBook Pro 16
- Great storage space for editing purposes
- Can manage powerful hardware and software (PCDJ DEX 3, Virtual DJ, etc.)
- Long battery life and sufficient RAM storage
- Supports fast charging
- Laptop is pricey
- Weighs heavier than others
With a built-in music player and high-quality speakers, why would you want anything less? I’ve always been amazed at how Apple has improved its products, and how the MacBook Pro 16 has shown how much Apple puts into designing a better product.
- Processor: Apple M1 Pro Chip
- OS: Mac OS
- Graphics: Apple 16-core GPU
- Display/Screen:2-inch (diagonal) mini-LED backlit Retina display; 3456 x 2234 with Pro-Motion technology
- Memory and Storage:512GB
- RAM:16GB unified memory
- Dimensions and Weight:66″ x 14.01″ x 9.77″; 4.7lbs (2.1kg)
- Battery Life: Up to 21 hours
- Ports: USB-C thunderbolt ports (3x)
- Inclusions: USB-C to Mag Safe 3 Cable (2m), 140m USB-C Power Adapter
My Two Cents
If you are using multiple software, this laptop is a must-have for your studio. A MacBook may be a good starting laptop for anyone who wants to venture into DJing, but only if you see it as a long-term career.
When you’re purchasing a MacBook Pro you want to be sure it’s the right laptop for you, so it’s important to weigh your options carefully. In conclusion, I consider this computer to be a great asset for any creative person who works on the web, and that’s why I bought it for myself.
Buying Guide for a Djing Laptop
When it comes to making a purchase, you probably have more than enough choices for your needs. For your DJing work, you should make sure that the device you pick meets the minimum requirements for working as a DJ. A good laptop for your DJing journey should look for the following characteristics:
Fast Processor & RAM
It’s very helpful to have music production software. The programs are expensive, and a fast processor would be needed. To get the best performance from your Mac, it’s best to have a minimum of Intel core i5 processor or its equivalent.
Laptops that are equipped with fast RAM are always going to give you more performance, especially for multitasking applications. I would encourage you to get a laptop that has at least 16 GB of RAM available because you will be working with large files and plugins.
You don’t need to have the most powerful video card and the highest resolution and display, other than if you would also be editing videos to add to your own tracks. You don’t need a computer with a high-end graphics card to DJ. Some people may even have an old laptop they don’t use that will work just fine.
There are some laptops out there with great battery life, and if you don’t want to spend too much money, I would recommend a Lenovo Think To become a DJ, it’s important to learn this factor.
Some gigs would have a stage where many outlets are available so you can plug your laptop conveniently. Some gigs have limited outlets, such as outdoor events. A battery charger with high output power is recommended.
But, since a good DJ laptop would require a fast processor and RAM, the battery life would be shorter than most laptops. I strongly recommend you to find a laptop that fits your needs, considering the upcoming gigs and where they are held.
As a DJ you know that the number of external devices you have to plug into your laptop is often overwhelming. You’ll need speakers, an external hard drive, and other accessories. This is great for anyone who wants to use the best software and plugins in their studio.
I think a laptop should have at least three USB ports, including one for USB-A and one for USB-C. This will ensure you can connect to either when necessary. In addition to an external monitor, a laptop computer may also need an onboard USB hub compatible with your laptop.
With this hub, you can connect multiple devices to a single hub and still have other ports open for other uses.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
I’m sure you have questions and concerns even after reading this article. In this section, hopefully, you’ll learn some of the answers to your questions. We’ve got some of the most frequently asked questions regarding this topic covered in this eBook.
What Are the Best DJing Software?
The most used software for a DJ is the following:
- DJ Pro
- Virtual DJ &Serato DJ
- Ableton Live
- PCDJ DEX 3
The range of DJ software varies from ideal for beginners to professional ones. They range from being affordable to expensive. The ability to make something unique out of a bunch of the same things is what makes these programs so amazing.
Should I Invest in an Expensive Laptop?
You’ve probably noticed that a lot of DJs use Mac laptops, and you’re wondering, “Should I buy the same? Before you buy a new laptop, it would be helpful to know some questions that would help answer those buying decisions.
- Am I dedicated to pursuing DJing, or am I just looking for a new hobby?
- Will I use this laptop exclusively for DJing or other purposes?
- Do I already have a laptop with similar specs that can do the job?
Some people think that buying a Mac is a huge investment. If that’s you, that’s totally valid. Especially since Mac has an exclusive operating system that would require an adjustment period if you are previously using a Windows laptop.
Let’s Review: Top Three Best Djing Laptops
All the laptops in this list are exceptionally good given their respective strengths and weaknesses. Out of the seven laptops, we found three that had the best overall, value and budget.
Best Budget Pick: Acer Aspire 5
You don’t always have to spend a lot of money to be happy. The price of the Acer Aspire 5 is only half that of the other high-end laptops, but it performs better than the rest. While it does have limitations, it would still do the job.
Best Value: Microsoft Surface Laptop
There are many laptops that you can buy if you’ve got some extra cash to spend. This laptop is so versatile that it has multiple ports for different types of USB. This allows it to fit in any situation. The Spectre x360 is the high-range laptop. It has a powerful engine and can handle all your needs.
Best Overall: Apple MacBook Pro 14-inch
This laptop is the best because it has the right balance of everything a DJ needs without going overboard. It’s not just about value for money, but also versatile, as it’s upgradeable. I really like this bag because it’s light and easy to take anywhere, whether it’s for work or for fun.
DJing is one of the most interesting jobs, but it comes with its requirements for good performance. We hope you found this article useful and hopefully picked out the right laptop for you! If you can’t stop thinking about it, you should probably do it. Thank you for reading! I hope your DJing endeavors will make you SUCCESSFUL!
Hello, My name is Shari & I am a writer for the ‘Outlook AppIns’ blog. I’m a CSIT graduate & I’ve been working in the IT industry for 3 years.