Outlook connected accounts Update failed and Sync issues allows users to add other accounts from different mail providers. This means that users can access many accounts through a single application. If an account isn’t updating, the user may see the “Update failed” status. This post provides instructions on how to resolve the issue.
What is a connected account in Outlook.com?
When you add a Connected Account to your Outlook.com account, it synchronizes with your email server via IMAP, similar to adding an email account to Gmail for POP3 and SMTP.
Outlook connected accounts Update failed
Related Post: How to Create Manage & Change Inbox View in Outlook
If you’re having trouble updating one or more of your Outlook connected accounts, we’ve got a few solutions that might help.
- Edit the connected account
- Change Server Settings of Email Provider
- Change POP Account to IMAP Account
- Use Mail app
Let’s look at how each of these solutions work. Before you try the solutions below, make sure you’ve updated Microsoft Office on your Windows 11/10 device. You can also remove and re-add your account to see if that helps.
1] Edit the connected account
This resolve to Update failed issue the requires you to edit the password settings of the connected account.
Do the following:
- Open a browser and go to Outlook.com.
- Log in to Outlook.com with your account credentials.
- Click the gear icon next to Connected Accounts or go to settings and click on Connected Accounts.
- In the window that opens, select the account with the “Update failed” status next to it and click “Edit.”
- Now, update your account password and save it.
The update failed status will change to pending update, which after some time will change to up-to-date. The issue should be resolved now. You can restart Outlook and check for the same.
2] Change Server Settings of Email Provider
Due to any update or change in security settings or mail server settings in Outlook-connected accounts, you may encounter this issue in view. To resolve the issue, you need to unblock or change the server settings of the email provider of the connected accounts like Gmail, Yahoo, and others.
3] Change POP Account to IMAP Account
IMAP (Internet Mail Access Protocol) beats POP (Post Office Protocol) hands-down – it supports rich media transfer and synchronization with devices, making it a clear winner. This solution requires you to change your POP account to an IMAP account. Do the following:
- To sign in to Outlook.com, enter your email address and password.
- edit your Connected Accounts, go to the Accounts tab and click on the Connections tab.
- Select the POP account that you are having issues with.
- Remove the linked POP account.
- The account can now be added to Outlook.com with default settings. The account will be added under the Choose where the imported email will be stored section with the option Create a new folder for imported email, with subfolders like the account you connect.
4] Use Mail app
This is more of a workaround than a solution, given that Outlook might be your preferred email client on your Windows 11/10 PC. This article will show you how to set up and add multiple email accounts to the Mail app on your device to send and receive emails from your connected account.
Why is one of my Outlook accounts not working?
Most common problem when connecting accounts to Outlook.com is incorrect settings. To resolve the issue, confirm your account settings with your provider. After you set up your account, sign out and sign in again, and make sure that your settings are correct.
Why is my Outlook not connecting to the server?
If Outlook isn’t connecting to the server, try the following suggestions:
- Make sure your account credentials or server name for Exchange are correct.
- Outlook needs to be online for this to work.
- Ensure that your computer is properly connected to the network.
- Check your connection to the Microsoft Exchange server.
Where is managed connected accounts in Outlook?
To see accounts that are managed by Outlook, do the following:
- At the top of the screen, select Settings > Mail.
- Under Options, select Accounts > Connected accounts.
Not all features are available in every region. If a feature is not available in your account’s region, you will not be able to see the option for it.
Hello, My name is Shari & I am a writer for the ‘Outlook AppIns’ blog. I’m a CSIT graduate & I’ve been working in the IT industry for 3 years.