You can set the priority of an How to set the Priority for an email in Outlook to High before sending it. This can be useful if you want to make sure that your recipients see and reply to your message as quickly as possible. Here’s how to do it.
How to set priority for an email in Outlook
We’ll show you how to prioritize an email in:
- Outlook desktop app.
- Outlook on the Web.
1] How to set priority for an email in Outlook desktop app
We will explain the steps for Outlook 2016. The steps may differ for other versions of the Outlook desktop app due to different interfaces.
- Open the Microsoft Outlook desktop app.
- Make sure the Home tab is selected.
- To create a new email in Outlook, click the “New email” button. This will open a new window where you can compose your message.
- Fill in the email address of the person you’re sending the message to, then type your message.
- You can set the priority of an email message as High importance or Low importance. These options can be found under the Tags section.
By default all email messages are set to normal priority. High priority email messages are marked with a red exclamation mark and low priority messages are marked with a blue down arrow. These marks let the recipient know which messages to open first.
To set the sensitivity of an email, Click on the small arrow at the corner of the Tags section to open the Message Properties dialog box. In the Properties dialog box, click on the Sensitivity drop-down menu and select the desired option. When you send the email after selecting its sensitivity, the receiver will receive a message just below the subject line indicating the type of sensitivity.
2] How to set priority for an email in Outlook on the Web
Open your web browser and sign in to your Outlook account. You will see your Inbox. On the top, you will see three tabs: Focused, Other, and All. Click on the Focused tab. You will see the option to set your priority. Click on it and you will be able to set your priority for your Outlook account.
- To start a new message, click the “New Message” button.
- click the “new” button to enter the email address of the sender and type your message.
- Click on the three horizontal dots button.
- Click on the three horizontal dots and select “Set importance.” Select the desired option from the drop-down menu.
How to set an email to high priority?
You can set an email to high priority in both the Outlook desktop app and Outlook for the Web before sending an email. In Outlook, this option is available under the Tags section in the New message window. Simply click on the three horizontal dots to set an email to high priority in Outlook on the Web.
How do you mark a sender as important in Outlook?
In Outlook, you can use the three horizontal dots to change the priority of the email messages you receive. In other words, you can mark a particular message from a particular sender as highly important or the least important.
We have explained the steps below:
- Open Outlook desktop app by clicking on the three horizontal dots.
- Click on the email message you want to change the priority of. This will open the email in another window.
- Click on the small arrow in the Tags section to open the Message Properties dialog box.
- To mark an email from a sender as important, click the Importance drop-down menu and select “High.”
- Click on the Close button.
- Close the email window and Outlook will ask you to save changes. Click Yes.
Hello, My name is Shari & I am a writer for the ‘Outlook AppIns’ blog. I’m a CSIT graduate & I’ve been working in the IT industry for 3 years.