Forwarded Emails not saved in Sent Items folder in Outlook aren’t being saved in your Sent Items folder in Outlook, don’t worry, you’re in the right place. This post covers some solutions that should help resolve the issue for affected Microsoft Outlook users. This issue affects Outlook LTSC 2021, Outlook 2019, Outlook 2016, Outlook 2013, Microsoft Outlook 2010, and Outlook for Office 365.
Forwarded Emails not saved in Sent Items folder in Outlook
If emails that are forwarded are not being saved in the Sent Items folder in Outlook on your Windows 11/10 work or home PC, it is most likely because the Save forwarded messages option is disabled either in the Outlook options or by a Group Policy. To resolve this issue, depending on your environment; home/personal or work, you can try the methods below respectively.
- The Save Forwarded Messages option in the Outlook Options allows you to save messages that you have forwarded.
- Enable forwarding messages via Group Policy.
DescriptionThe following are descriptions of some of the presented solutions.
1] Enable the Save forwarded messages option in the Outlook Options
This method to resolve the Forwarded Emails are not saved in Sent Items folder in Outlook issue on your Windows 11/10 PC applies to personal/home users that are not setup in a work environment. To enable the Save forwarded messages option. In Outlook, go to Options > Mail. Under Save messages, select the Save forwarded messages check box.
- Select “File” from the top menu in Outlook, then select “Options” from the drop-down menu.
- In the Mail navigation pane, select the account you want to modify.
- Scroll down to the Save messages section on the right pane.
- Now, select the option to save forwarded messages.
- Click OK to close Outlook options.
The Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant tool can help you with Outlook if:If you’re having trouble with Outlook, the Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant tool can help. The tool can help you with Outlook if:
- Outlook is having trouble connecting or staying connected.
- My Outlook isn’t responding, keeps crashing, or has stopped working. What can I do to fix it.
- I’m having trouble sending, receiving, and finding email in Outlook.
- Email in Outlook not syncing properly? Here are some troubleshooting tips to help fix the issue.
2] Enable the Save forwarded messages option via Group Policy
This method applies to users in an organizational environment where the Save forwarded messages option is not available or appears dimmed. In this case, the setting may be configured in Group Policy which requires your IT administrator to change and update the policy.
To enable the Save forwarded messages option via Group Policy Outlook 2013 or later versions, do the following:
- To download an administrative template for Office 2016, Office 2019, Office LTSC 2021, or Outlook for Office 365, click here.
- Next, you need to install the Group Policy Administrative Templates (ADMX) on your Windows computer.
- Now, extract the admintemplates_32bit.exe or admintemplates_64bit.exe file to a folder on your local disk.
- Next, open File Explorer and go to the following directory:
- Copy the file appropriate to your version of Office to the folder above.
Outlook 2016, Office 2019, Office LTSC 2021, or Outlook for Office 365: Outlk16.admx .Outlook 2013: Outlk15.admx
Outlook 2010: Outlk14.adm
- Launch the Group Policy Management Console.
- In the Group Policy Management Console, expand User Configuration, then expand Administrative Templates.
- Next, expand your version of Microsoft Outlook, then expand Outlook Options. Finally, expand Preferences and select the Advanced E-mail Options node.
- More options to save messages. Under the Advanced E-mail Options, you can double-click to find more options to save your messages.
- You can save forwarded messages by enabling the setting in your account.
- Select OK.
- Finally, force Group Policy Update.
Do forwarded emails appear in Sent Items Outlook?
The forwarded messages are automatically saved in the Sent Items folder when you forward the emails in Outlook. If you don’t see the forwarded message in the Sent Items folder after sending, the save forwarded messages function is not enabled.
Do forwarded emails go to Sent Items?
The email you forwarded will go to your Sent folder if you use the same email account to send it. If you want the email to appear in your inbox, send it from a different email account.
Why are my sent emails not showing in my Sent folder?
If you’re not seeing your sent email messages in Outlook, it might be because Outlook isn’t configured to save a copy of sent items. To fix this, go to File > Options > Mail, scroll down to Save messages, and make sure the Save copies of messages in Sent Items folder check box is checked.
What is the difference between forward and redirect in Outlook?
The main difference between forwarding and redirecting an email in Outlook is that when you forward an email, the “From:” field changes so you become the sender. When you redirect an email, the “From:” field doesn’t change, so the original sender remains the same.
Hello, My name is Shari & I am a writer for the ‘Outlook AppIns’ blog. I’m a CSIT graduate & I’ve been working in the IT industry for 3 years.