Table of Contents
- Fix S/MIME control isn’t available error on Chrome, Firefox, Edge
- 1] Clear browser cache
- 2] Add Trusted site in Internet Options
- 3] Run browser in compatibility mode
- 4] Do not save encrypted pages to disk
- 5] Install S/MIME control
- How do you fix The content can’t be displayed because the S/MIME control isn’t available for Chrome?
- How do I make the S/MIME control available?
The content can’t be displayed because the Fix S/MIME control isn’t available error on Chrome Firefox Edge browser can be fixed by following the steps in this guide. S/MIME or Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions is a kind of encryption that can encrypt your email so that only the recipient can read the message when authenticated successfully. If you get this error while using Outlook Web Access, try the following troubleshooting tips and tricks to fix the issue.
Fix S/MIME control isn’t available error on Chrome, Firefox, Edge
To fix the “S/MIME control isn’t available” error on Chrome, Firefox, and Edge, follow these steps:
- Clear browser cache
- Add Trusted site in Internet Options
- Run browser in compatibility mode
- Do not save encrypted pages to disk
- Install S/MIME control
1] Clear browser cache
In order to fix the error on your browser, you first need to clear the browser cache. If there are some issues with the browser, you may not be able to access Outlook on your computer. Therefore, it is wise to clear the browser cache first. However, at first, you can try clearing cookies and cache for the specific website. If it doesn’t work, you need to remove them browser-wide.
2] Add Trusted site in Internet Options
The browser does not recognize the entered website as a trusted one. To add a Trusted site, follow these steps:
- Search for internet options in the Taskbar search box.
- Go to the Security tab.
- The Trusted Sites option should be enabled.
- Click on the Sites button.
- Click the “Add this website to the zone” button to add the URL of the site you want to view.
- To add something, click the “Add” button.
- Close and OK options.
3] Run browser in compatibility mode
Related Post: Microsoft Outlook Search grayed out
If you’re having trouble with your browser on Windows 10/11, you can try running it in compatibility mode. This should fix any potential issues. Here’s how to do it for Google Chrome, Firefox, and Edge.
- Navigate to where your browser is installed.
- Right-click on the browser.exe file to open it.
- The “Properties” option from the right-click context menu can be used to change various settings for the file,
- folder, or shortcut.
- On the Compatibility tab, you can change settings to make older programs run in this version of Windows.
- Click on the Run compatibility troubleshooter button.
- Follow the instructions on the screen.
If the issue persists, you can try running the browser in compatibility mode or manually changing the setting. Alternatively, you can tick the ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ checkbox and select an OS from the drop-down list.
For Microsoft Edge browser: To search for the browser in the Taskbar search box, right-click on it, and select the Open file location option, you can follow the aforementioned steps.
4] Do not save encrypted pages to disk
To fix the “Do not save encrypted pages to disk” error when accessing Outlook Web Access, you need to disable the setting. To do that, follow these steps:
- To search for internet options, type “internet options” into the Taskbar search box and press Enter.
- Click on an individual search result.
- On the Advanced tab, you can manage your account settings and preferences.
- Do not save encrypted pages to disk.
- Tick the corresponding checkbox.
- Press the OK button.
5] Install S/MIME control
As an IT admin or someone who works in an organization, you may need to install the S/MIME control. Otherwise, you may get an error while trying to access Outlook. To install the S/MIME control, you first need to get a certificate from your IT administrator.
To use S/MIME, open Settings and go to Mail > S/MIME. Find the S/MIME control option and click on the Click here option. After entering the certificate, click on the Run or Open button. If you receive a message asking if you want to run the selected software, click the Run button.
S/MIME doesn’t work on Chrome if your computer isn’t a part of Microsoft Active Directory domain. However, you can still use Outlook without any problem.
How do you fix The content can’t be displayed because the S/MIME control isn’t available for Chrome?
The S/MIME control isn’t available error in Chrome can be fixed by following the aforementioned guides. For example, you can clear browser cache, add the website to the Trusted sites list, etc. Apart from that, you can turn on the Do not save encrypted pages to disk setting and run the browser in compatibility mode.
How do I make the S/MIME control available?
To enable S/MIME, open Settings and switch to the Mail tab. Click S/MIME, then select Encrypt contents and attachments for all messages I send and Add a digital signature to all messages I send. Finally, click Save.