Welcome to the 100% working solution to how to play fallout 3 on windows 10 in 2021 without crashes. This guide contains multiple compatibility fixes to run Fallout 3 for 32/64 bit computers.
When Fallout 3 came into the market, it became a major league for gamers. In fact, after twelve long years, its trend has remained still and is being loved more day by day. Recently, it got an update along with its Las Vegas version, which led the players of Windows 10 to be unable to play. This was a severe problem that we hear making us find new & best solutions.
Alright, let’s discover how to run fallout 3 on windows 10.
Table of Contents
How to play fallout 3 on windows 10
Fallout 3 is an arcade action role-playing single player game developed for PS3 in 2008. At the time, the game received numerous set of Year awards and titles like the greatest video game of all time. It was the third installment of the series made for Xbox 360, Play Station 3, Windows 7, and older versions. As a result of compatibility problems, it often found crashing on windows 10.
There are multiple methods for fallout 3 windows 10 fix, as listed below. But before going ahead, backup data to recover from loss or damage, if any occurs.
Navigate to: This PC > Local Disk C > Program Files (x86) > Steam > apps > common > Fallout 3 GOTY.
Then, select all those files present in that folder by pressing hotkey ‘CTRL + A’ & then copy by press ‘CTRL + C’ on your keyboard. Now go to the desktop and create a new folder named ‘Fallout 3’. Paste all those copied files on this location by pressing ‘CTRL + V’ on the keyboard.
2. Solve Compatibility issues: fallout 3 windows 10 fix
“This app might not work correctly. Fallout 3 isn’t compatible with this version of windows”. This is a universal message that people get due to incompatible settings. If you are facing such issues, you will need to fix its properties in the following ways to run in compatibility mode.
- Open the folder on the desktop named ‘fallout3’.
- Navigate to ‘FalloutLauncher’ and right-click it.
- Click on ‘Properties’ and switch to the ‘compatibility’ tab.
- Check the box to the left of ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for.’
- Select ‘Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)’ from the drop-down list.
- Also, check on the ‘Run this program as an administrator’ box.
- Finally, click ‘Apply’ and then ‘ok.’
Again, you have to repeat the same process for two more files:
- Right-click the’ Fallout3.exe’ icon this time and go to its properties.
- Go to the ‘Compatibility’ tab.
- Enable the compatibility mode to ‘Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)’.
- Also, make it run as an administrator as given in step number 6 above.
- Click apply and close the window by pressing ‘ok.’
Similarly, right-click ‘Fallout 3 – Guardians of the eating kit‘ and open its properties. In the compatibility tab, change its version as described above. Perform every step that you did on previous files and save the settings.
4. Fix falloutprefs.ini file.
In order to get fallout 3 to work on windows 10 after performing the above steps, sometimes we also might need to modify the falloutprefs.ini file. Here is how:
- Open the directory Documents >> Games >> Fallout 3.
- Find the falloutprefs.ini file and right-click it.
- Navigate to ‘Open With’ and select ‘Notepad.’
- Press the hotkey ‘CTRL + F’ and search for: bUseThreadedAI=0
- In notepad editor, change the value of bUseThreadedAI=0 to bUseThreadedAI=1.
- If you cannot find the code, put your cursor at the end of the document and press the enter key.
- Copy bUseThreadedAI=1 from here and paste it at the end of the falloutprefs.ini file.
- Finally, save the file and open the game.
Recommended: Windows 10 No Login Screen on Startup Fix
Since, the developement have released new versions of Fallout franchise and the old versions are unsupported, fallout 3 won’t launch windows 10. As mentioned above, to fix this we need to change the file properties and set compatibility mode to older Windows operating systems. In 90% cases, this solution works. I hope this tutorial on how to play Fallout 3 on windows 10 has helped you. If you are still being unable to run the program, let us know in the comments below and we will try to find new solutions for it.