When Fallout 3 came into the market, it became a major league for gamers, even in 2020. In fact, after twelve long years, its trend has remained still and is being loved more day by day. Recently, it got an update along with its Las Vegas version, which led the players of Windows 10 to be unable to play.
This was a severe problem that we heard of, that made us find new & best solutions. That’s why we’re releasing this simple procedural guide on how to play fallout 3 on windows 10 without crashes. In this tutorial, you will discover a compatibility solution step by step for Fallout 3 steam 32/64 bit computers.
Besides, Fallout 3 is an arcade action role-playing single player game developed for PS3 in 2008. At the time, the game received numerous set of Year awards and titles like the greatest video game of all time. It was the third installment of the series made for Xbox 360, Play Station 3, Windows 7 and older versions. As a result of compatibility problems, it often found crashing on windows 10.
Table of Contents
How to play fallout 3 on windows 10
There are multiple ways to fix fallout 3 game work on windows 10, as listed below. But before going ahead, backup data to recover from loss or damage, if any occurs.
Navigate to: This PC > Local Disk C > Program Files (x86) > Steam > apps > common > Fallout 3 GOTY.
Then, select all those files present in that folder by pressing hotkey ‘CTRL + A’ & then copy by press ‘CTRL + C’ on your keyboard. Now go to the desktop and create a new folder named ‘Fallout 3’. Paste all those copied files on this location by pressing ‘CTRL + V’ on the keyboard.
Fix 1: Run As Administrator
Following is a simple fix to run in compatibility mode:
- Right-click the ‘fallout 3’ icon on your desktop.
- Choose ‘Open File Location.’ Windows will take you to its original location.
- Right-click on automatically selected .exe icon.
- Click ‘Properties.’
- Switch to the ‘Compatibility’ tab.
- Select ‘Run this program as an administrator.’
- Click ‘Apply’ & then ‘Ok’.
- Launch Fallout 3.
Fix 2: Solve Compatibility issues
“This app might not work correctly. Fallout 3 isn’t compatible with this version of windows”. This is a universal message that people get due to incompatible settings. If you are facing such issues, you will need to fix its properties in the following ways.
- Open the folder in desktop named ‘fallout3’.
- Navigate to ‘FalloutLauncher‘ and right-click it.
- Click on ‘Properties’ and switch to the ‘compatibility’ tab.
- Check the box to the left of ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for.’
- Select ‘Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)’ from the drop-down list.
- Also, check on ‘Run this program as an administrator‘ box.
- Finally, click ‘Apply’ and then ‘ok.’
Again, you have to repeat the same process for two more files:
- Right-click ‘Fallout3.exe‘ icon this time and go to its properties.
- Go to the ‘Compatibility’ tab.
- Enable the compatibility mode to ‘Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)‘.
- Also, make it run as an administrator as given on step number 6 above.
- Click apply and close the window by pressing ‘ok.’
Similarly, right-click ‘Fallout 3 – Guardians of the eating kit‘ and open its properties. In the compatibility tab, change its version as described above. Perform every step that you did on previous files and save the settings.
Fix 3: Install Windows Live Software
This is one of the standard solutions to play fallout 3 on window 10. Even if you change the properties as mentioned above, the game might still not work. To fix that, you will have to perform the following quick steps:
- Download GFW Live Software.
- Single-click the downloaded setup files and install the application (for Chrome users). Other browsers, go to downloads folder in ‘This PC’ where you will find the installer.
- Once the setup is complete, turn on the internet and open the app. It will automatically download the necessary files.
- When above step #3 is finished, close the program and launch Fallout 3. It will start working.
Fix 4: Modify the falloutprefs.ini file.
After you’ve performed the above steps and still failed, modify the falloutprefs.ini file. Here is how:
- Open the directory Documents >> Games >> Fallout 3.
- Find the falloutprefs.ini file and right-click it.
- Navigate to ‘Open With’ and select ‘Notepad.’
- Press the hotkey ‘CTRL + F‘ and search for: bUseThreadedAI=0
- In notepad editor, change the value of bUseThreadedAI=0 to bUseThreadedAI=1.
- If you cannot find the code, put your cursor at the end of the document and press enter key.
- Copy bUseThreadedAI=1 from here and paste it at the end of the falloutprefs.ini file.
- Finally, save the file and open the game.
Recommended: Windows 10 No Login Screen on Startup Fix
I hope this tutorial on how to run Fallout 3 on windows 10 helped you. If you are still facing problems, write a comment below.